Over-sized tyres?

CMF_Bishop

» CMF Member
So how many just run over-sized and live with the lesser grunt off the line?.

I'm talking like 185/60-14 or 195/50-15, I looked at all the options, not sure I like the prices or lack of range in anything smaller/stock.

Also is the speedo signal on the Micra electronic or mechanical?, I figure a jaycar kit could fix the issue if it's electronic.

Reading old threads I noticed a few doing it, some of the threads mention the smaller sizes getting harder to get, I imagine that issue has not gotten any better?.

CMF_Bishop

» CMF Member
I suspected as much, the brief inquiries I made came up with fairly vague availability on any of the 'proper' micra sizes, figured most people by now may have moved to more common sizing.

What were the RE001's worth sik?.

My current thinking is 185/60's would be nice, cheap and common, with a good sidewall ratio, roads are a little rough up here for 50's, I can live with the speedo error, shame about the mechanical drive.

CMF_chargeR

» CMF Member
I use 185/60R13s and have no intention of ever going to oversized tyres. I like to maintain what little suspension travel I have. Considering going with 165/60R13s in the future for more low. Small tyre sizes are out there you just have to put a bit of effort in to find them.

CMF_Bishop

» CMF Member
chargeR WROTE:

"I use 185/60R13s and have no intention of ever going to oversized tyres. I like to maintain what little suspension travel I have. Considering going with 165/60R13s in the future for more low. Small tyre sizes are out there you just have to put a bit of effort in to find them.

It's less about the effort, and more about the pure cost and value for money, with 'proper' sizes there is no range, so you pay through the nose, with no real options or value there.

Kind of seems to negate one of the benefits of a small cheap to run car when the rubber is so limited and expensive, I rather just wear the downsides and have cheap quality rubber.

mik

» CMF Member
why not use 14" rims with some 195/45/14 toyo proxes T1R?
Dunlop for instance produces 195/45/13. a friend of mine, has them on his micra, looks pretty neat!

i wouldn't go with cheap tires, they're important to keep the car on the road safely, that's why i rather get a better tire, but a simpler rim, if budget is small.

CMF_Bishop

» CMF Member
Not cheap as in cheap quality, more cheap as in it's cheap for it's size, keep in mind for certain sizes, the more common size can cost half what the less common size does, all in the same brand of rubber.

For a odd ball tyre size you could pay $150+ for no name rubber, or $200+ for brand name, switch to something common and suddenly it's $100 for brand name rubber.

Rims are a non factor, so many perfectly good cheap rims about now.

And 45's on my driveway would be a nightmare, the car would rattle to bits in weeks, another reason why I'm perfectly happy to upsize this time around.

CMF_chargeR

» CMF Member
Bishop WROTE:

"chargeR WROTE:

"I use 185/60R13s and have no intention of ever going to oversized tyres. I like to maintain what little suspension travel I have. Considering going with 165/60R13s in the future for more low. Small tyre sizes are out there you just have to put a bit of effort in to find them."</div>

It's less about the effort, and more about the pure cost and value for money, with 'proper' sizes there is no range, so you pay through the nose, with no real options or value there.

Kind of seems to negate one of the benefits of a small cheap to run car when the rubber is so limited and expensive, I rather just wear the downsides and have cheap quality rubber.

You are right of course, it just for me the aesthetics of larger tyres are not an option and on a 185/60R14 tyre my car would basically be tucking an inch of tyre and rubbing whilst standing still :p. A set of 13" tyres for my Micra still cost less than one track day tyre for one of my other cars :) and they last nearly forever on such a light car.

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
155/70/13,s stretched onto 7" wide harlequin rims FTW :)

Attachments

• 54033.jpg
    54033.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 38

CMF_Bishop

» CMF Member
Wow, been looking around, for the sake of looks it's so tempting to go 195/50-15 on a Micra, rims and/or tyres are so close in price from 14's to 15's, it purely comes down to what you can live with.

Back