Gearbox Woes

Hi,

Am slowly learning the issue with the micra gearbox meaning that when the driveshafts have been removed, the spline gears in the diff seem to fall over and disappear.

I now have 3 gearboxes, one has a hole in the side - the other 2 have diff gears rattling around in the bottom of them. Trying to decide if it's worth the hassle pulling them apart to rebuild the diff, or just get another one.

Does anybody know if the later 1.0 k11 box fits ok in an early 1.0 k11 (1996) aside from the speedo drive being electronic instead of mechanical? Also I've noticed some on ebay have the starter coming in from the engine side rather than the gearbox side, why is that?

From this point forward I will always store my gearboxes with some spare drive shaft ends in them!!!!!

Appreciate any help you can give.

Chris

From 2000 on they changed. It is known as the coilpack engine, and has the gearbox with the starter bolting in from the engine side. It also has a crank sensor fitted. Stick to your type of box. It's too much hassle to swap them.

the preface 1.0 is different to all the other k11,s chris, and i always rolled some cardboard up and shoved it into the diff spline to stop those bevel gears from dropping down.
the k10 haynes has a g/box rebuild section on those types, and i think you only need to lift the casing off to refit the gears (leaving the clusters in situ)

Back