Oily Mess

Hi chaps,

The problems with this Micra just dont seem to stop!
After ending up replacing the washer bottle & pumps I've released I've been leaking a bit of oil and from the looks of the mess its been for a little while.

I've had a look under the car at the back of the engine and it appeared to be coming from somewhere around the oil filter. My quick fix idea was to replace the oil & filter (since it was due anyway) but this failed to stop the leak.
I've noticed that it only seems to leak when the engine is first started and whilst its cold. Once it gets upto optimal temperature it practically stops.

Whilst I was changing the oil, I decided to check the spark plugs and each one is coated in oil. More worryingly is that the oil appears to have gotten past the spark plug on cylinder 1.

Two month back I also replaced the PCV filter since this was also covered in oil, but now its back covered in oil again.
I've been quite worried the whole engine is borked but it seems to run quite happily and can't say I've noticed anything wrong in running performance (despite not getting decent MPG out of it).

Have anyone of you guys come across all these symptoms before?

Cheers
CP.

it will be two things, your rocker cover may be leaving at the back above the filter and the oil pressure switch could be loose.

i found out that the oil leak that was making me use 1l of oil a week was actualy a loose main pulley bolt.... (stupid design if you ask me) but best thing to do is get a pressure washer in there and get it nice and clean, tape some clean white paper to the engine block and take it for a 10 minute drive, stop and look at the paper.

jobs a guden you now know where the oil is coming from..

Thanks for that mate - I've already cleaned the area but still can't see exactly where its leaking without inspection mirrors etc.

Interestingly enough - the leaking seems to be getting worse as the weather is getting colder :(

Hi all, I have exactly the same symtoms but I am unable to get under the car because of the snow. It is losing a lot on a cold start up, ie dripping every 1/4 second or so but after warming up appears to be losing none.......wierd, unless it is the oil pressure switch as the pressure would be high when cold. I have never heard of this problem before in all my years of driving.

Also what thread is the switch as I would like to do it all in one go.

Any advice most welcome

Thank you

Nigel

Wrong there mate, Its a good reason, I value my life and just got our of hospital after a quadriple heart bypass op. I want to spend as little time as possible under the car. Your obviously as cold blooded as your name suggests! Nice to see you using copper, must be planning to keep the car a while!

Resolved it!

The oil filter was only just nipped up and during the very cold weather the thicker oil was raising the oil pressure and then leaking past the filter seal. When the oil warmed up it thinned out, the pressure then dropped and the leak stopped. Its now tight, but not too tight and the problem has gone!

Wheee and it cost nothing to solve!

Back