Oil light flickering

Hi, first of all the level is fine.
It flickers on and off a few times on start-up, then goes off. If you start the car again that day it doesn't come on.
Thought it might just be the cold weather but not sure now as it's warming up a bit.
Car runs fine.
Thanks

I wouldn't really worry about it yet, as long as the light is not on when the engine is running. It might mean your oil is getting a bit old or your oil pump might be starting to go out, but again, as long as the light isn't on while the engine is running I wouldn't be worried.

I wouldn't really worry about it yet, as long as the light is not on when the engine is running. It might mean your oil is getting a bit old or your oil pump might be starting to go out, but again, as long as the light isn't on while the engine is running I wouldn't be worried.
Well, it flickers on and off till the engine is up to temperature...... Oil is not that old.

Did this flickering started with colder weather? If so your oil is too thick.
Have you checked oil level, do you have enough oil in your engine??:rolleyes:

First line says level is fine.
Unless they've just changed oil just before it happened then I'd expect it to be the same, or they should have stated that in the first post

Expectations and assumptions, quite often source of major duck ups...! :rolleyes: ;)
Micra of mine does same flickering, below -28°C, after oil has warmed properly flickering goes away...
Warmer than -28°C, oil light doesn't flicker! ;)

Last edited:
Have a look at the oil filter sometimes there is manufacturing issues with odd batches clogging, for what they cost to replace it's a problem less in narrowing down the issue.;)

Back