Oil Levels extremly low.

QuiggyWoo

Club Member (Trial)
Hi,
I have just finished an oil change on my Micra. I went out and purchased 4lt of oil, new sump nut and filter and set on cleaning the system. I removed the filter which came off the car with great difficulty but spat out a minimal amount of oil. I then put the oil pan under the car and undone the sump nut waiting for the rush that is old dirty oil pouring all over the place landing everywhere except the pan.

Well after about 10 seconds the car's oil reserve was empty. I managed to drain 250ml of oil from the sump and thats it.

I carried on with the change and put a fresh 3lt in the car which, five days after and 50miles later is still in the car and still looks quite clean.

At what level should my warning light come on? I mean 1/4lt on a 3lt tank surely thats low enough for the car to realize there is a problem?

no sure ammount wise, but the oil warrning light is for oil pressure not level

Regular checks with a cleen dipstick on a level surface is the only way to my knowledge

Clean the engine and gearbox underneath, so it would be easier to check for leaks if you are losing some that way. I noticed yesterday that my rocker cover wasnt secured properley and i may have been losing oil through that

Dont forget to change the oil on a warm engine, not sure if you did that or not!

And the engine takes 2.5 litres approx of oil so try not to over fill :)

Thanks. Just to clarify the engine was warm. I drove 20 odd miles to get some oil and a few other bits! I am having my engine steam cleaned wednesday so i will be able to tell then. When I checked the Hayes manual it said 2.9l with filter change? If it is only 2.5 then I have a lot more oil then I need however my Dipstick is only just over the limit.

LOL yes i'm dreading that thread as well. How much water do you reckon the engine will suck up during the clean. My mondeo was fine for just over 100 miles until the traction control went due to water damage! 600 repair job. Nice

I must admit, when I gunked and pressure washed my K10 engine it didn't miss a beat when I started it back up again, although I was expecting it to!

I must admit, when I gunked and pressure washed my K10 engine it didn't miss a beat when I started it back up again, although I was expecting it to!

Same here, mine worked too. There's no reason why it shouldnt

having water in connectors and not drying them out will cause them to corrode away even if its in a hot engine bay the water will stay in them

when driving and the oil light comes on, its too late

my brothers oil light started flashing kinda erratically in his old fiesta, and with him being abit of an idiot he kinda just carried on using it for a week and then checked the oil and the dipstick was bone dry...

filled it up with oil and it carried on working fine... lol!

Back