Engine oil leak?

Hi all, I appear too have an engine oil leak but cannot really pinpoint where it is leaking. The one place I have noticed is at the back of the rocker cover on the left hand side is a breather pipe and the grommet that connects it is rather loose. Are there any usual leaky parts on this 1.0 engine?

There's quite a bit of dry oil down the exact same part of mine, but I've never noticed the oil level drop on the dipstick and it doesn't burn any

How often are you adding oil? have you had any part of the engine taken apart?

That breather pipe is important - if it's blocked (especially if there's a filter in-line) then your dipstick will pop out if there's any pressure inside, or it will force the pressure out through your rocker cover seal.

Thanks for your reply. The oil level is fine. I have just changed the small felt-like filter under the air filter as it was blocked solid. I am not sure this will make a difference?

Thanks for your reply. The oil level is fine. I have just changed the small felt-like filter under the air filter as it was blocked solid. I am not sure this will make a difference?
if the thing was blocked and the seal is already damaged you would have to replace the seal also to stop the leaking (if that is where it's coming from), but it's unlikely there was much pressure building up in there unless the engine is really high miles anyway

If your oil level is fine I would just leave it at that filter change tbh, most engine bays tend to have a bit of spilled oil in them it can't be helped sometimes unless you clean it frequently and stay on top of every maintenance item for car shows and whatnot. If you notice your oil level going down and constantly needing topping up or you find wet spots of oil where you park it overnight then it might be time to do something more

Thanks! Its just that it does leak oil very slightly. I will see if the filter makes a difference. The pipe is not very tight fitting into the rocker cover though? I am going to change the rocker gasket just in case. The mileage is about 75,000.

Thanks! Its just that it does leak oil very slightly. I will see if the filter makes a difference. The pipe is not very tight fitting into the rocker cover though? I am going to change the rocker gasket just in case. The mileage is about 75,000.
the rubber that the pipe fits into just degrades over time, the round rubber gasket itself that attaches the pipe to the rocker cover is a pain to get out as well from my experience on other cars but replacing the rocker-cover-gasket is easy enough and worth doing if you're concerned about it. 75,000 miles isn't so high that I would expect exhaust gases to be leaking past the internal seals so the pipe isn't so much relieving exhaust-gas pressure as it is just evening out the small amount of pressure fluctuation caused by the movement of the rocker arms and springs

That round rubber washer/gasket is quite loose, should I try to stick it with instant gasket or replace it?
may as well replace it to be on the safe side

this one shows how to do it on a nissan altima and they recommend doing it anyway at 80,000 miles - it seems really easy to do on an altima because they've got threads on the outside and somewhere to fit a spanner which I don't remember seeing on the micra engine. On some the threads are on the inside (they're like that on old mercedes) and I've seen people screw a bolt down into the middle of it and then have to pull it out with mole grips and the same amount of stress pressing a new one in if they come out as 2 pieces instead of one. There's also a worry of dropping bits of degraded rubber/plastic down into the rocker cover but if you're planning on taking the rocker cover off anyway now is a great time to do both and remove that risk. Can't find one of someone doing it on a micra cg10de but at least it's easy to get to location-wise to get good leverage

Last edited: