Oil feed and return question please fellas

CMF_GTIR_UK

» CMF Member
Hi guys and gals, have a 1300 K11 want to turbo it to make a quick work car like family hack. My question is do I need to tap into the main oil gallery on the front of the block to take up an oil feed? and is the oil return simply a matter of welding in an oil return boss high up the sump above oil level? Is there any chance of posting up some pics?
Thanks

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
YOu don't have to tap into the main oil gallery. You can get an oil filter adapter off ebay (site member snoopy has done this as his welsch plug on the block was damaged for some unknown reason) and tap the oil line into that, but then you need more oil line and then the chance for something to rub through and high pressure oil to leak out becomes much higher.

Both solutions though will probably require a restrictor depending on the turbo you use, so I don't think either method will be preferable or worse for the pressure drop side of things. Considering how much oil pressure these little engines have over 3000rpm anyway haha

When I get around to doing this when I get the new engine in I'll be making an effort to use the oil feed at the front of the block. The less line there is to leak the better.

CMF_GTIR_UK

» CMF Member
Is there an oil feed at the front of the block? Or do you mean the oil gallery. My old RS Turbo had an oil feed on a large braided line from around the back of the block they never rub through its just a matter of routing it correctly but I see your point.
The Nissan Terranos in the UK have just had bulletin out for oil lamps staying illuminated and an adapter kit was supplied which is a long boss about 4 inches long with a thread to screw in the block where the oil pressure switch used to be then once screwed in the oil switch screws into the top end of this long 4 inch boss so its basically a go between bringing the oil switch further out from the block dont ask me why but Nissan are always inventing these things. I can get hold of one of these bosses and im sure the thread pitch will be similar or the same in which case I can drill a hole half way up this boss and weld on a threaded portion to take an oil feed braided hose to my turbo what do you reckon?
By the way im a Nissan Tech of many years hence all the tech waffle.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Ergh, mental blank right now but looking at my spare motor here there's a threaded hole with a plug in it at the moment that goes straight into what looks like a pressurised oil gallery. Its beneath where the alternator would usually sit on an aircon equipped CG.

I believe this is what a few people have used as an oil feed. From there they've just plumbed the oil return back into the sump.

CMF_fred

» CMF Member
yeah, that's right Yom, That is a high pressure source, located on the left hand side of the head. I used this on my conversion, I think others have too.... The return is a welded tube to the sump, an oil line straight down from the turbo.... I'll get photos if it helps, GTIR UK.... the thread there is very standard gas type thread easily sourced from hose/fitting people like Pirtek/Enzed etc It was easy with a spare head with the turbo jigged up on it to walk in and say do my oil and water lines please.... and walk out again with it all done for about $300....

CMF_GTIR_UK

» CMF Member
Thanks guys great help. If any of you could take some pics that would be great, some pics of your oil return welded boss to the sump and the oil feed blank that your talking about. I will be getting a spare motor in the new year but I have to wait to see if my local breakers have a cg13 in they tend to be the cg10.
I intend to use a T25 off a 200 sx with a rising rate fuel pressure reg inline with my stock fuel regulator and higher capacity pump, a gtir pulsar top mount i/c converted to a front mounted i/c and for fuelling enrichment I plan on using an Apexi SAFC2 which taps into the air flow meter wiring this unit also has an active knock sensor display so you see if your pinking etc it worked well on my Pulsar so should provide all the extra fuel I need for 7 - 10 psi on a stock engine. Well this is the theory anyhow and im planning to do it all rather cheaply ha ha well thats the idea but it never works out like that does it lol.

CMF_Snoopy

» CMF Member
You will need larger injectors. The factory ones run out at 3.5-4psi.

Also my oil return feed is bolted to the sump, not welded like most.

It works well with no oil leaks. The fittings where bought from rocket industries, they were ment for aftermarket honda turbo kits. I just pot lucked it that they would fit.

CMF_GTIR_UK

» CMF Member
is that just a conventional mocal style oil cooler sandwich plate? It looks like you have blanked off one outlet to just use the one high pressure pipe to feed the turbo thats a good idea did you need to use a restrictor in that pipe to stop oil flooding the turbo?

CMF_Snoopy

» CMF Member
enzed made the hose with the restrictor in built into it. There is three outlets off the plate(the third one is at the top of the plate & cant be seen in the photo), im using one to feed an oil pressure guage & the other is blanked off.

Back