oil drain plug on manual gearbox

CMF_climberjoel

» CMF Member
hey,

just replacing the oil in my gear box at the moment and have a little question... the oil drain plug when i tighten it to the correct tourqe (22nm) still has some threads on the outside (ie the plug isnt all the way in).

now i cant remember if this was how it was when i before i pulled it out... is this normal or has something gone wrong???

cheers

CMF_Micra_King

» CMF Member
Yeap its fine. The plug is a taper plug so it starts of with a smaller diameter at the start and gets larger as it goes making it lock into place and why there so Fing hard to remove. Still I just did mine up tight and did not bother with a torque wrench. Try using just a normal shifter on it and if you can tighten it up easy still then id say you have not done it up right.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
do not overtighten. you may never get it out again.

i hate tapered threads.

I don't do them up very tight at all, I actually put a smearing of gasket goo over the tread and do it up half a turn more after i cant turn it by finger any further. dont have any issues with leaks and I dont have trouble getting them out again

CMF_qwerty132

» CMF Member
Hey,

Speaking of never getting them out again - Are they normal thread or reverse??? I was trying to undo mine on the week end and I couldnt get it to move by turning anticlockwise... I didnt want to be too rough with it as I didnt want to screw the thread or the square socket up.

Thanks
qwerty132

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Mickeybbb WROTE:

"normal rotation mate,<BR>speaking of this, previous owner of mine put it in with locktight<BR>and bulk torque, its not ever coming out

Put a breaker bar on it and then a jack under the breaker bar. There should be enough room to jack it up and use the weight of the car to crack it! I used this method on my dad's navara and it worked eventually. Lifted the rear of the car about 4cm off the round before it moved haha

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
thats normal. that is a magnet and it is designed to attract the normal gear shavings.

Id be more worried about the colour of the oil which came out.

Was it silvery or bronzish? (not gear oil brown)

Back