Odd cutting out from hot start issue

markbognor

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
Like it says in the title. I've been having some issues with the engine die-ing recently. These episodes have been predictably unpredictable. Though a couple of times I have had a repeat of the same issue, when starting from hot the revs pitch and drop, and any load on the engine will kill it completely, any throttle with make the pitching and dropping worse, but it will only rev to around 1500 before dropping again. I have replaced the very unpleasent looking fuel and air filters, and there's a dizzy cap and rotor arm to go on. Cleaning the fur off of the contact points in the dizzy and rotor tip seemed to have solved the problem, until a couple of days later when it started again - so I'm really hoping that the new cap solves the problem. But secretly I'm pretty sure its some of the black magic electrickery that keeps everything ticking along nicely until it decides to throw a wobbly.

So when the dizzy cap fails to solve the problem, what do you reckon I should try next?

The new cap and rotor to go on? Or is on?
My car does exactly what your describing but its a Xsara Picasso. I think the heat leans it out too much. So it'll be that black magic electrickery your talking about.
So quick things to check:
Fuel pump relay
Idle air control valve
Maf
Give em a good clean

if its dieing under load it may be running lean for some reason mark ? if the lambda reading drops below about .4v when it happens, then fuel problems maybe ?

Yeah it'll go on before anything else gets swapped.

Nice one frank, now I wonder where the meter actually is, hope I haven't left it at school.

New cap and rotor arm - nil points. Left it running for a bit before lunch, turned off, wait a mo - turn back on - starts faultlessly but then wont rev - wen held at part throttle the revs lift and die, and bit like I'm tapping the throttle and revving the engine, but with the pedal stationary.

Just like it did yesterday when stopping at the supermarket after the run into work, and last night at the motor factors after coming home. By the time that I had limped back through the estate to home, it seemed to be running fine again.

Chap on RR recons that the coil might be breaking down, causing the hot problems - built into the dizzy, tieing it together with another guy who recognises the symptoms from the local takaway's delivery cars - all fixed with a s/h distributer.

I don't seem to have a multi-meter here so am limited with the actual diagnostics that can be done.

So the saga continues.....

Dizzy is off the other car, but one of the cap bolts sheared in the body, bums.
So I've set to separating the coil from the distributer body, but thought I'd chek it before throwing it at mine. Haynes says that it should have a reading of 0.8ohms in the primary coils. I'm not sure how to check just the primary coils, but I'm getting a reading of 1.1 ohms on the spare coil, and 1.2 ohms on the coil on my car. So are both fubared, or are both ok?

Previously to all that, I treated it to some new plugs too, the old ones were a nice toasty colour, but I could have driven through the gap. So was the extra load of the very gapped plugs causing the coil to heat up and expose the fault - which now seems (bar one very slight hesitation in the run after fitting the plugs) to have dissapeared?

Like it says in the title. I've been having some issues with the engine die-ing recently. These episodes have been predictably unpredictable. Though a couple of times I have had a repeat of the same issue, when starting from hot the revs pitch and drop, and any load on the engine will kill it completely, any throttle with make the pitching and dropping worse, but it will only rev to around 1500 before dropping again. I have replaced the very unpleasent looking fuel and air filters, and there's a dizzy cap and rotor arm to go on. Cleaning the fur off of the contact points in the dizzy and rotor tip seemed to have solved the problem, until a couple of days later when it started again - so I'm really hoping that the new cap solves the problem. But secretly I'm pretty sure its some of the black magic electrickery that keeps everything ticking along nicely until it decides to throw a wobbly.

So when the dizzy cap fails to solve the problem, what do you reckon I should try next?

I had similar issues changed a numerous amount of things, the last thing I did was change the throttle body, as mine was new very low mileage. After changing Throttle body Start and runs fine now

Back