O/D Light Flashing

CMF_Vibe7777

» CMF Member
Hi guys,

I need your precious advice on this one; my O/D light started flashing on and off and somethimes my gears won't shift from 2 to 1. Seems as if the car was stalling.

Thanks

Vibe7777

CMF_kneival

» CMF Member
Have you checked the oil level in the g/box recently?

When it will not shift from 2-1 is this when the lights are flashing? Sounds like the car is running out of power somewhere along the line or perhaps loosing an earth point.

Have you checked the voltage on the main battery when the engine is not running? Does it start ok on a cold morning?

CMF_Vibe7777

» CMF Member
hi kneival, the gearbox oil has been replaced 3 weeks ago my car is a 4 speed auto not a CVT, that's for sure :). I had a mechanic checked my car today, he said my car is overheating and there was like a greasy dirt in my water level jar and even in my radiator. The mechanic told me to have my head gasket changed and that's why my transmission fluid is not cooling properly. what do u think?
thanks Vibe7777

CMF_NotAnotherSSS

» CMF Member
The engine's cooling system has nothing to do with the gearbox. Infact I'd hazard that your gearbox doesnt even have an oil cooler attached to it.

Since it has only come around since the gearbox oil was changed, may I suggest you have the oil changed again to what Nissan recommends in your manual? Possibly even buy some of the genuine nissan fluid from a dealership.

As for your headgasket, you'll know if it blows because

a) performance will be crap
b) will start loosing coolant
c) may start blowing white smoke
d) your engine oil will look funny and start to go slightly white

I think your mechanic is taking you for a ride. :(

CMF_kneival

» CMF Member
Just read thro the haynes and the NCVT doesnt connect to the engine coolant, it has its own rad and oil cooler built into it. This doesnt say the auto box with gears doesnt have coolant from the engine.

Apparently his mech showed him the connecting pipe to the coolant from the engine and showed him gunk in the coolant resevoir so the auto gear box must have a connection to the transmission.

CMF_hi3cmz

» CMF Member
some version of March 4AT/NCVT and engine share the same radiator, they are divided by a thin wall, sometime this wall is corroted and water mix with transmision fluid and viceversa, so, you have to check if your transmission fluid is contamied by water, if so, it is time to replace radiator. There is a lot of posibilities that your 4AT flash a error warning, first you have to make sure your transmision fluid are in good shape, and compliant with OEM spec, which is dexrom III if my memory serve.

Back