number plate lights not working

hi there can anybody give me some advice on how to diagnose whats wrong with my lights

i have an old k10 micra(pre-facelift 88/89) and it has just failed it's MOT because the numberplate lights do not work the bulbs are not blown as i have fitted new ones but they are still not working where do i start to try and solve this problem hopefully one of you fantastic people can point me in the right direction
many thanks
sean

check all the fuses by the foot pedals on drivers side of the footwell.
if not you might wanna open the boot and follow the wiring as it may have just snapped.
good luck (Y)

cheers sed5000 will be tracing the wiring back from the bulb housing in the morning as i have checked the fuse box and everything seems in order other than a volt meter is there any other way of testing thats its live first before having to trace the whole cable back any advice will be well recieved
many thanks
sean

turn the lights on and open the boot.. slowly close it, wmove it up and down and look if the lights dont turn on for a fraction of second.. that would indicate broken wire at the part where it comes out of the body and comes into the boot door..

it should be this problem, because the wiring connects to rear lights.. so if your tail light works, problem is there.

if you want to repair that only for MOT purposes, one cable and a bit of a duct tape and it is done.. if you want it to work permanently and not to look like crap, most probably you will have to take out the rear part of the wiring loom (at the left rear combined light), disconnect rear window heating, wiper and those lights and change one or more cables in it.. not a best job to do but with just a little bit of technical skills it wont cost you more than a few quid

i assume that the rear wiper works, right?

Back