Noob Question, Sorry guys

CMF_sevendonekysflopping

» CMF Member
Hey guys,
Im new to Micras and the forums. Am buying a micra in the next couple of days.

Here comes the noobie question,
is it hard to turbo or even possible to turbo a 1995 nissan micra slx ?.

Please give me a break haha. All im really familiar on is interior haha.

Thanks guys

CMF_Tyrie

» CMF Member
yes it is possible, but IMO for the effort and cost it isn't worth it. Spend the same money on tyres and handling and you will have a lot more fun driving it.

That is unless you want to make it handle AND turbo it, in which case go nuts, but budget an LSD in there somewhere ;)

CMF_RTK

» CMF Member
7DS, I am in the process of doing a turbo conversion, and so far it has cause me $150, but will blow out to about $2k very quick, but like Ty said do handling mods and budget for an LSD if you choose to turbo

CMF_RTK

» CMF Member
kovert.k11 WROTE:

"RTK WROTE:

"but will blow out to about $2k very quick"

Kovert its all DIY, that isnt machining though, $2000 was including that, I have already dealt with handling

erm, a good computer is more then 2k, just to buy, let alone if you have to pay someone to wire it in and then dyno time aswell. i do everything myself, i've never added up what i spent on my original turbo cg that kovert now has, but i'd say it'd be close to 10k and then some, and the motor was untouched. guess there's 2 ways of doing stuff. cheap and cheerful. or buckets of power and reliability. probably why 3 years later the STOCK engine in koverts car is pumping out almost 160kw from around 16pound, when everyone else seems to be popping headgaskets and ringlands at 10psi trying to crack the 100kw barrier.

CMF_RTK

» CMF Member
I am not waiting stupid power, just 4-5pound, and I've been quoted 2200 for aftermarket ECU, wired in, and dyno tune :) but that will be later on

RTK WROTE:

", and I've been quoted 2200 for aftermarket ECU,

pretty sure i said good computers are more then 2k just to buy, hang on....

turbo march-rolling shell WROTE:

"erm, a good computer is more then 2k, just to buy, let alone if you have to pay someone to wire it in and then dyno time aswell.

so keep ya boost nice and LOW... low XD. if your going full max awesome diy value why don't you look into building your own ecu. like a megasquirt or something pov like that

kovert.k11 WROTE:

"lol....4-5 pounds is achievable without an aftermarket ecu... the daily ****box is running 6 pounds with stock ecu...stock injectors...stock t/b..

yeh true. when people say they turboing their car, i just naturally assume there doing it coz they want to go fast, not just for the added "pssshhh" wank factor, only to be beaten yet again by the woodridge bogan in his vt commo

CMF_kovert.k11

» CMF Member
yeh true. when people say they turboing their car, i just naturally assume there doing it coz they want to go fast, not just for the added "pssshhh" wank factor, only to be beaten yet again by the woodridge bogan in his vt commo

where's that friggin' "like" button!?! lmao

CMF_RTK

» CMF Member
im not wanting it either for the so call "wank" factor, i wont be using a BOV till i have bigger power

CMF_RTK

» CMF Member

"who we pm'ing. lol. onjomama rofl

+ bov straight away bro. you'll find it'll add atleast 5kw

so we dont clutter this thread with comments thats why i have PMed you

CMF_kovert.k11

» CMF Member
i loathe to break up the love-fest, but here's an un-micra pic

Attachments

• 74820.jpg
    74820.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 32

CMF_RBLUV

» CMF Member
MicraGirl2011 WROTE:

"kovert.k11 WROTE:

"i loathe to break up the love-fest, but here's an un-micra pic"</div>

im sorry but that is ugly! i would prefer a stock toyota echo over that!

CMF_Tyrie

» CMF Member

"erm, a good computer is more then 2k, just to buy, let alone if you have to pay someone to wire it in and then dyno time aswell. i do everything myself, i've never added up what i spent on my original turbo cg that kovert now has, but i'd say it'd be close to 10k and then some, and the motor was untouched. guess there's 2 ways of doing stuff. cheap and cheerful. or buckets of power and reliability. probably why 3 years later the STOCK engine in koverts car is pumping out almost 160kw from around 16pound, when everyone else seems to be popping headgaskets and ringlands at 10psi trying to crack the 100kw barrier.

I would say 95% of that reliability is in the tune, and you don't have to have a $2000+ ecu to have a good tune. $300 NIStune could give the same results.

I would be interested in seeing a breakdown of that $10k to see how your extra $8000 makes such a big difference.

Edit: also does that mean the front page of the site should be edited to say that blue monster is not australia's most powerful micra? That article says 144kw @ 17psi, but Koverts car makes 160kw @ 16psi... pretty big difference!

CMF_Tyrie

» CMF Member
Actually never mind, just read some of Kovert's thread.

1. Motor isn't stock, it has cams.

2. Almost 155kw, not almost 160kw

3. Obviously a lot of money has been spent making it pretty, I assume this is on top of the $10k

4. Several times in Kovert's thread he says he doesn't expect it to be reliable and is building a solid bottom end for it.

5. You say yourself it's all in the tune.

5.1. Cold starts are ****..?

btw I'm not trying to talk down kovert's car, it's obviously a great achievement.

CMF_kovert.k11

» CMF Member
tyrie, my comments about reliability were based on ignorance on my part... nothing thus far has indicated that there is even the slightest question when it comes to reliability... new engine with forged internals has been built, but more out of a desire to do things properly rather than a sense of impending doom that the stock cg13 will explode violently... i think there will be some amazement once the built cg13 goes in and the power output figures become public info... u can do a aesthetically pleasing build that doesn't compromise the power side of the equation...
ps. cold starts are average! lol
pps. front page does need to change - blue monster is old news (sooo 6 years ago!?! bahahaha)

Tyrie WROTE:

"turbo march-rolling shell WROTE:

"erm, a good computer is more then 2k, just to buy, let alone if you have to pay someone to wire it in and then dyno time aswell. i do everything myself, i've never added up what i spent on my original turbo cg that kovert now has, but i'd say it'd be close to 10k and then some, and the motor was untouched. guess there's 2 ways of doing stuff. cheap and cheerful. or buckets of power and reliability. probably why 3 years later the STOCK engine in koverts car is pumping out almost 160kw from around 16pound, when everyone else seems to be popping headgaskets and ringlands at 10psi trying to crack the 100kw barrier. "</div>

I would say 95% of that reliability is in the tune, and you don't have to have a $2000+ ecu to have a good tune. $300 NIStune could give the same results.

I would be interested in seeing a breakdown of that $10k to see how your extra $8000 makes such a big difference.

Edit: also does that mean the front page of the site should be edited to say that blue monster is not australia's most powerful micra? That article says 144kw @ 17psi, but Koverts car makes 160kw @ 16psi... pretty big difference!

yes, the site cover should have been edited a long time ago. , i have the dyno results to prove it, and they have been posted. but apparently due to the site owner at that time being a skirt, we needed a video to back up the results, which we did not have. however, once the car is back up in brisbane i'll be making sure to crank up the boost further and blow that 154kw out of the water with a ****ing video. i would agree that 95% of the reliability is in the tune. a good chunk of that 95% i would say is 80% driveability. $300 nistune is going to give you no where near the amount of reliability as a sm4 coupled with a 500r and custom crank and cam triggers (a big part that 90% of people miss, massive part of why the car is still going today), u simply wont get this with a lower quality computer, i've tried, used ems, microtech, haltech, adaptronic etc. maybe if the setup wasn't so highly strung, ie 16psi on a stock engine, a cheaper computer might suffice, but i believe the question here is power + reliability. lower quality computers just don't have the brain power and accuracy to CONSISTANTLY control the engine. the absolute worst in my opinion is the adaptronic. only thing id compare to an autronic is a motec, or the hks fcon V pro, some of the new link stuff isn't bad, but there's still quite a few little issues with the ecu's them selves ****ting injector drivers etc. stock computer and ignition is good for exactly that. a stock car. the way you can make the engine come onto boost, the actual car drive, injector and ignition control is uncomparable to a stock setup. anyone who has been in koverts car or even when the setup was in my car was amazed what the little 1.3 can do with the mods. do i honestly need to draw you a picture of how $8000 makes a difference? please compare your dyno graph to koverts for the answer.

1.the engine is STOCK, i don't see cams as being a vital engine modification for the reliability, which was the question at hand. and for the record, the pon cams do **** all for over all power, more improve the midrange torque then anything else. on an n/a car the 256's give about a 4kw gain, around the same turbo'd

2. almost 160kw

3. quick run of the top of my head
autronic sm4 + loom $2499
autronic 500r, cdi coils, leads $1500
vf30 ballbearing turbo $ 1500
turbo manifold + hpc $800
tial wastegate $350
3'' stainless turbo back exhaust, with stainless metal cat hpc and muffler $1200
fuel pump, injectors, custom motec fuel rail, fuel reg, $1000
custom pwr intercooler $850
stainless intercooler piping, turbosmart blow off valve $700
custom intake plenum, bellmouths t/b adaptor etc. $800
already at over $11000 and haven't even began to wire in computer,set and make up the crank and cam sensors, tune, install any of the parts, painting, polishing, clutch, flywheel, cams, few k worth of braided lines etc. at a guess if you had to pay someone you wouldn't get much change out of 20k =154.xkw @16psi

4. i've done 40 laps at 16psi at queensland raceway on that engine when it was in my car. an engine HAS been built for more power and more then twice the amount of boost which will be fitted to the car once his other project is finished

5. it definately is, allthough you cant turn **** into gold. any computer will work, the result and driveability will show. with cheaper computers like for example a microtech, there's simply no where near the amount of tuneability like you would have with an autronic/motec etc. not saying microtechs are ****, you just get what you pay for, good if your on a budget and arent expecting record breaking reliability or power. if you have the means, get kovert to take you for a drive in his car. dont try to tell me that microtechs are good etc. i've fitted a number of cars that have used microtechs and swapped to either an autronic or motec, it sounds stupid, but just by the sound of the engine, the way they rev, the autronic tunes up alot better, with the 500r and sm4, you can put in a new set of plugs, do 20 power runs, pull the plugs out and go return them where you bought them from, they run the engine that clean. cleaner engine = longer lasting. triggers play a massive part in running an engine. the fact that microtechs must be specifically mapped by microtech themselves to run on any specific engine is great, if you just want to wire the computer in, turn the key and drive away. microtechs are MODEL specific, and as such aren't specifically tailored to work with your cars triggers, giving a result that works, but in a high power/reliability scenario is not a desirable way to accurately control the engine. great if you've had very little experience in aftermarket ecu's as they require very little work to get running. higher end ecus require all custom triggers or modified oem trigger units to work. ussually 2 triggers, one on the cam and the other on the crank giving better sync, giving more consistant ignition timing / fueling results compared to oem or cheaper ecus that dont' have the capability to run these sorts of configurations. so please don't compare cheaper ecu's to motorsport ones.

5.1 the iac valve on the new plenum has been deleted, so cold starts arent factory, that and the fact that kovert lives whats basically the south pole regarding temperatures is less then favourable for cold starts.

i apoligize if any of my comments seem somewhat blunt. it just makes my blood boil when people compare something crap, to something good. ie a $300 tune will give the same results as a $2000+ computer etc. yeh... no. that just shows a lack of knowledge and experience on your part

CMF_Pierce

» CMF Member
Having said all that TMRS, a couple years ago I went to see you at browns plains behind autobarn. I was being led down the path of EMS.

Nowadays I've managed to keep a really good Defence Force job and I like to have money baths every afternoon (slightly exaggerated but I'm single and have enough income to waste :)

However I'm still looking for affordability with power.

I'm wanting reliability for sure, this car will be my daily for at least a couple years.

So would an EMS 4860 w/loom, 4ch CDI w/loom be recommended by you.

Once turbo'd my end goal is a stable 120-130kw micra that holds up to a bit of lead foot syndrome.

Perhaps we could work out some sort of meeting to discuss my options face to face, though I hear you're a busy man haha.

Pierce WROTE:

"Having said all that TMRS, a couple years ago I went to see you at browns plains behind autobarn. I was being led down the path of EMS.

Nowadays I've managed to keep a really good Defence Force job and I like to have money baths every afternoon (slightly exaggerated but I'm single and have enough income to waste :)

However I'm still looking for affordability with power.

I'm wanting reliability for sure, this car will be my daily for at least a couple years.

So would an EMS 4860 w/loom, 4ch CDI w/loom be recommended by you.

Once turbo'd my end goal is a stable 120-130kw micra that holds up to a bit of lead foot syndrome.

Perhaps we could work out some sort of meeting to discuss my options face to face, though I hear you're a busy man haha.

hey mate, hope your car is still going well. firstly, can i say don't take your car down to the shop where i used to be again lol. shop ownership has changed hands... i'll leave it at that.
as for affordability with power, the simplest and cheapest way to aftermarket ecu the micra would be with the ems 4860, that with a decent turbo system should net you a minimum of around 110kw, pushed a bit harder will get you your 130kw. a 4ch cdi isn't really neccessary depending on how far you want to go in your first stage. thou i would reccomend it for reliabilities sake once you hit 100kw+ on a stock engine. have previously used a vf30 sti turbo, i'd be keen to use a vf34 on a micra, i think there would be slighty more useable midrange power from one. that and forced performance now make billet cnc comp wheels for them if you wanted to upgrade later.

definately something that can be done if your wallet is upto the task :p try dropping me a pm if you want some further info.

as for koverts sm2, personally haven't had much experience with this ecu, thou being apart of the autronic family id say its a good bit of gear, having said that, the autronic requires custom triggers made up etc, will give a better result with the only downsides being cost and i believe the sm2 uses the older dos software :S, where as the 4860 uses newer windows software. unless you can afford an sm4 :p

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member

"as for affordability with power, the simplest and cheapest way to aftermarket ecu the micra would be with the ems 4860, that with a decent turbo system should net you a minimum of around 110kw, pushed a bit harder will get you your 130kw.

Never thought I'd see the day when you actually promote an EMS ECU, regardless of budget ;)

---dens

deNs WROTE:

"as for affordability with power, the simplest and cheapest way to aftermarket ecu the micra would be with the ems 4860, that with a decent turbo system should net you a minimum of around 110kw, pushed a bit harder will get you your 130kw."</div>

Never thought I'd see the day when you actually promote an EMS ECU, regardless of budget ;)

---dens

haha. when i was at the shop used to use them all the time. imo the best budget ecu. and if your on a real budget and your setup is relatively basic the stingers work really well too. weeks better then a microtech anyway. :) that said i've got a link g4 in one of my cars, and that seems to work amazingly for the price of the unit. i have had a few mates with dramas with them but so i'll bite my tongue before i suggest something that could have potential problems. as some of you know the micra ecu socket shares the same design as the sr20 180sx from memory. one of the nissans anyway. link do plug in ecu's for them... :D. not hard to put 2 and 2 together. = G4 lol. coolest feature by far is the link controls the factory dash like the defi gauges. (does the opening ceremony) pree mad wank feature

sportsclassic WROTE:

"Haltech is designing a Pro plug in for the k11, they have one in a micra running already for testing. They are playing with cold starts at the moment.

There new series of Ecu's seem to be ok.

can't say i've had any great success with the haltechs. don't know what there is to really "design" lol. its the same board as a 180sx etc.

CMF_sportsclassic

» CMF Member

"sportsclassic WROTE:

"Haltech is designing a Pro plug in for the k11, they have one in a micra running already for testing. They are playing with cold starts at the moment.

There new series of Ecu's seem to be ok."</div>

can't say i've had any great success with the haltechs. don't know what there is to really "design" lol. its the same board as a 180sx etc.

S15 is close I think..

sportsclassic WROTE:

"sportsclassic WROTE:

"</div>

S15 is close I think..

ive used a patch harness from a s series chasis car in the past, plugged straight in and allows you to wire in a aftermarket ecu without touching any wiring on the car at all. just checked and s15, s14 series 2, s14 series 1 sr20de, pulsar gtir, s13 sr20de/t ecu's all plug straight into the micra loom. when we visited mullholland they actually had a power fc running a micra which is where i got the idea for a patch harness in the first place. if you were clever enough you could run a power fc or any other plug in for any of the cars above in your micra with minimal mods. power fc's getting cheaper by the day, specially for s13's.. .

CMF_sportsclassic

» CMF Member

"sportsclassic WROTE:

"sportsclassic WROTE:

"</div>

S15 is close I think.. "</div>

ive used a patch harness from a s series chasis car in the past, plugged straight in and allows you to wire in a aftermarket ecu without touching any wiring on the car at all. just checked and s15, s14 series 2, s14 series 1 sr20de, pulsar gtir, s13 sr20de/t ecu's all plug straight into the micra loom. when we visited mullholland they actually had a power fc running a micra which is where i got the idea for a patch harness in the first place. if you were clever enough you could run a power fc or any other plug in for any of the cars above in your micra with minimal mods. power fc's getting cheaper by the day, specially for s13's.. .

Like!

Back