Non Starter"Engine light flashing"Help Urgently

Hi there,
Please can you help ? my K11 1.3 si "Preg" has never given me any trouble, but now,I am having a nightmare,

The car will not run for more than about 5 or 6 seconds (if it does start at all) - as you turn on the ignition the engine check light is flashing! so oviously the car has self detected a fault,

The RAC has had a look but do not have the correct diagnostic equip' but they feel the car has lost the ability to recognise the keys, I have tried the spare key, but same,

I have spoken to main dealer today, Quoted £70.00 to plug comuter & retreave the fault code then £70.00 per hour Labour + parts + VAT,plus of course i have to get it there! they were totaly unhelpfull "suprise suprise" and unable to comment as to what could be the fault, until hooked up to there computer system !
sems they will only advise you if you have passed the required 70 pieces of gold coinage !

What do you sugest ?????
:suspect:

i just paid out a fair bit to nissan as my micra had exactly the same problem that only nissan could fix grr

they where un helpful and i didnt like the service, but....

anyway.....i tryed all sorts but nothing.

hope you dont mind me asking.....where you working on the car JUST before the problem arised!!

as in u where working in engine bay etc and then when you went to start the cat the malfunction warning light started to flash!

thanks

just to give you some more background:

I drive about 800 miles ever week,Car used evert day, This car has now done 130K,

Last friday was the first time ever ive had any kind of problem starting the car (on that morning it took about 20 seconds to fire up but once running drove about 150 miles that day starting and stopping restarting all day with no problem,but late on friday evening again engine turned over for a bit before firing up but once started ran ok,

no problem untill sat morning[/U][/COLOR]
When i tried to start it, it would not fire up and i noticed the check engine lamp flashing, I checked leads distributor etc, fuses and looked for any obvious lookind bad connections on the engine, then i tried to start it again,

Great it started (light still flashing) but only ran for about 5 or 10 seconds then cut out and would not restart (the check engine light was still flashing whilst the engine running),
I turned off tried to resart and engine turned over but would not fire up,
Next I disconnected battery for about 10 mins but still the same, and i have tried the spare key, but no difference,

Rac came out next day and advised a problem with the key/NATS system , but did not check any thing

Help needed URGENTLY please :doh:

Regards Dave

Hi Napster
thanks for your interest in my problem ,

No have not touched anything for ages
only ever put screen wash and petrol in it,

well my problem came about with straightening the steering wheel, somehow the transponder unit around the ignition barrel got hit / knocked and i need a new one.

the symptoms are the same that you are discribing!!

i hate to say this:

"but as much as i didnt want my micra to go to nissan, it may be the only way...i just hope its a simple key program reset and not a serious problem like mine was......nissan said it would cost me £30 for keys to be re-programed"

if u have checked fuses, leads and you havent touched anything under the bonnet or under dash / steering column then....

sorry

Cheers napster
may i ask you how much did your bill come to for your replacement transponder unit?
and do you know exactly where it is located / what does it look like ?

Dave where are you?

Try this it should work for the K11, If it starts at all its not likely to be a NATS problem. (nissan anti theft)

http://www.fusion-motorsport.co.uk/content/view/35/25/

Post the error codes here if you get any

Ed

Hi Ed
thanks for that advice
but does my car have this type of plug ?
Iask as the RAC was telling me only on more modern cars have 7 pin socket but mine being pre 2001 does not ?

Great to get some tips - as im currently on a tight budget - so trying to avoid the dealer - you know how it is

Cheers napster
may i ask you how much did your bill come to for your replacement transponder unit?
and do you know exactly where it is located / what does it look like ?

no problem :wasntme:

the bill...lets jst say it wasnt very fair grr (cost more than atrip to the moon)...but i cant argue there was not alot i could do except somehow transport my micra on a lorry 200 MILES :down: to Ed at Fusion Motor sport who would have installed a non NATS ECU and then driven home which would have taken longer and cost loads more.

when u insert ur key into the ignition.....the transponder unit is the "black
/ dark grey circular unit around the barrel" and this reads the code in ur keys and relays this to ECU ? unit which confirms the keys are legit in a way lol

Attachments

• march2.jpg
    march2.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 492
ok well i am trying to remember how much rRchard Branston is charging now for a trips to the moon ,
LOL

I could actually get my car transported on a lorry 200 miles FOR FREE
- as i have Rac recovery, ( not yet used this part of the service as we were unsure where to have it towed to on sunday as everywhere was closed)

maybe -

I will have to call Ed @ fusion tomorrow and enquire further

ok well i am trying to remember how much rRchard Branston is charging now for a trips to the moon ,
LOL

I could actually get my car transported on a lorry 200 miles FOR FREE
- as i have Rac recovery, ( not yet used this part of the service as we were unsure where to have it towed to on sunday as everywhere was closed)

maybe -

I will have to call Ed @ fusion tomorrow and enquire further

haha lol......well what mine cost i could have gone to moon and back again lol

well speak to ED maybe then and see what he suggests, but the best bet as ED has already said is to find what the ACTUAL PROBLEM is first whether its transponer unit or engine internals / sensors etc as ED can fix it if its the NATS / transponder unit.

just wouldnt want you to travel so many miles for it to be something else.

good luck

napster

Like I said try the fault code read as above. Its in the fuse box to the right of the steering wheel.

Ed

My k11 is a flasher ! ( and not a runner anymore )

ok Ed
Thanks for the advice will look at it tomorrow,
and let you know, cant now as Its lashing down out there at the moment, plus nearly my bed time anyway.

just some advice and word of warning!

if you do have a look for solutions tomorrow...then be EXTREMLY CAREFUL if u have a look at the transponder unit because if this isnt the problem and you break it having a look u will have two problems and will be even more expensive probably. it is very fragil as i found out and dont want u to make the same mistake:down:

hope this has helped

im pulling my hair out

Thanks for the adsvice posted Ed

On my Micra as soon as i turn the key is turned the engine check light is continiosly flashing on and off,

I have tried this morning bridging the 2 connectors you are talking about but still the light continues to flash on and off the same as before(there appears to be no change in its flashing frequency)

Any more ideas ???

:down:

Thanks for the adsvice posted Ed

On my Micra as soon as i turn the key is turned the engine check light is continiosly flashing on and off,

I have tried this morning bridging the 2 connectors you are talking about but still the light continues to flash on and off the same as before(there appears to be no change in its flashing frequency)

Any more ideas ???

:down:

the malfucntion light will always flash the same.....what me and ED where talking about was your NATS red light on the dash / center console changing flash frequency

bridge them again and see if the RED WARNING LIGHT changes its flash

napster

if you have already BRIDGED THEM ONCE.......then if you look at the red flashing unit it should be doing flashing the faults code

thats unless you bridged them twice...then just bridge them again?

actually when bridging consult pins to get a fault code, its the engine malfunction light that flashes the code. NOT the red nats light.

from what i heard, sounds like you have a NATS problem though, in which case the engine light wont flash a fault code.

actually when bridging consult pins to get a fault code, its the engine malfunction light that flashes the code. NOT the red nats light.

from what i heard, sounds like you have a NATS problem though, in which case the engine light wont flash a fault code.

well i retract my previous statment!!!

i thought it was the NATS lights, but if its not then my apologies for the false info. just i was told it was that.

Hi Napster, - thanks for your interest
The only red red light i can see would be the red led above the centre consol this goes on when the car alarm is activated, and when de activated stays on until the ignition is turned on,

it does not flash when the 2 terminals are bridged

I was reading the instructions from previous which say's

Bridge the far two upper right pins on the consult plug with the wire paper clip for 2 seconds then remove the bridge. Observe and write down the sequence of flashed produced by the engine check light on the dash.

So i believe i was doing it correctly..?

Have spoken to ED @ fusion on the phone this morning, he is going to ask around his contacts for me....

I am now considering my best option to be having to pay the Nissan dealer the required £77.50 to get any fault codes they can out of the system and then take it from there ??????????

I need to scream.........:doh: :wow: :laugh:
no seriosly
thanks for the advice i am getting
Iam pulling my hair out......
But sure will get there soon ?? (i hope):grinning:

nearly 12 now need to get to work try and earn some money,
will see what advice comes in today

cheers

think i will be soon looking for another new car,
then be selling this, - cannot break as where i live its not practicle,
will post some pics and see what offers i get

Hi just got home from work was hopeing for some more ideas, but no more, postings yet.
anybody any more ideas ??
any help appreciated,PLEASE.........:
:glare: k11yellow

i couldnt say anymore then im afraid :doh:

if u have tryed to see fault codes but none of the lights flash a pattern then i dont know about that.

and if ur car is starting for a couple of seconds and then stopping it cant be the NATS / transponder unit....

unless when u put the key in the ignition, and turn it, it feels like someone has pulled the power plug on ur engine and it wont start at all even on the first TURN?

if that makes sense

apparantly its the ECU !

thanks for the tips ive had on this problem
update today had a message back today regarding my Micra Si,
apparantly its the ecu,and im quoted between £300 - £500

can somebody tell me how hard is it to change myself / where is it,
i have spotted this on ebay what do you think

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=110135820631&rd=1&rd=1
dont know if this link has pasted correctly and will open 4 u
if not ebay Item number: 110135820631

before i instuct further the independant garage who has my car..
thanks
Dave

thanks for the tips ive had on this problem
update today had a message back today regarding my Micra Si,
apparantly its the ecu,and im quoted between £300 - £500

can somebody tell me how hard is it to change myself / where is it,
i have spotted this on ebay what do you think

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=110135820631&rd=1&rd=1
dont know if this link has pasted correctly and will open 4 u
if not ebay Item number: 110135820631

before i instuct further the independant garage who has my car..
thanks
Dave

the ECU is found under the centre console!

depnds if ur gear stick gaiter is against the bottom try which means u may have to undo this...i think urs will.

then the bottom tray underneath fan controls has to be removed (two screws either side)

once removed u should see the ECU :grinning:

the ebay item looks ok, but not sure if it ahs to be the same spec / engine or something

hopefully someone else can help with that one

napster

Hi there Napster
Cheers for that,
I thought it was down there, but was not 100 % sure,

Do you know if i changed the ecu would i then have to change the ignition and transponder as well, and if so are they easy to do ?

Back