Noise when you turn the key but not all the way

Hi,

When I turn the key and it's really quiet, if i turn it just so you can see the red lights come on on the dash, you can hear this sound. Then after a short time it stops. Does anyone know what this is?

mean micra said:
if it's like "mmmmmmm um"
and sound is quite low then 99.99% sure fuel pump....

but nothing to worry bout...

yea exactly that.

the thing is, sometimes I dont wait for it to do that, should I leave it till it goes "um" or doesn't it matter if I turn the key the full way round (to ignite) straight away?

I've never had a problem and I do it both ways but I s'pose it can't hurt to let the pump prime the system fully. One thing I've noticed is that if u put the ignition on so that the pump primes, wait for it to stop then turn the ignition off and back on it doesn't run the pump again, evidently it's triggered by a pressure sensor somewhere.

yep as people have said before that is the electric fuel pump refilling all the petrol tubes after the fuel in them has evaporated. if you open the door you can hear that the buzz comes from the back of the car... if i remember there should be a mecanical pump that takes over once the engine has started...

i try to let it finnish before i turn the key but the worst that could happen is that the engine doesn't start straight away, never been a problem for me though.

if the engine has trouble starting and you don't hear the buzz then you know whats wrong :)

if it does go wrong away from home then turning the engine over a few times by hand before trying to start it should be enough to prime the fuel system...

i get a similer kinda noise, which goes when the AIRBAG light goes off, so I thought it was something to do with testing/activating the airbag system. But, fuel pump does sound more likely!

this is common in micra's its not no problem. its only the electric sensors checking the airbag system and also the fuel is going into the filter.

squigbobble, there is no pressure sensor on Nissan ECCS. Just a timer, leave it for a few sec in the off position and you will hear it prime again.

Nex, there is no mechanical pump, once the engine starts, only electronic.

Ed said:
squigbobble, there is no pressure sensor on Nissan ECCS. Just a timer, leave it for a few sec in the off position and you will hear it prime again.

Ah, I must not be leaving it off for long enough then.

Ed said:

ok i know that older cars had mechanical fuel pumps... thanks for the update :)

Back