Noise when doing over 65mph+

I've only been using my K11 local driving, so speed has been 30-40. I decided to give it a burn on a dual carriageway for the first time and it happily rides to 60mph, but when it reaches around 65ish and over I get this intermittent sound, not constant, come and go. I have no idea what the timing chain would sound like so I don't know if it is that, but the sound is not constant. If anything I could compare it to it would be the sound you get when you turn the ignition key when the engine is already on. A sort of high pitched screeching.

Any ideas? A bit concerned.

1ltr K11C.

Last edited:
I realised it's not so much based on speed. I was doing it all before in gear 5, but doing about 50 downhill in gear 4 had the same effect. So it's something about the high revs? Also smelt some rubber or something come through the car at about 70 when holding it there.

Ok. I'm not familiar with car parts and servicing myself, so will have a friend help. Is there any more details you can give so I can pass along to my helper? Do I just mention a slack fan-belt, or is there another name and something else it's linked to, where it's located, etc. Any specifics to help would be much appreciated..

I don't have air con, so it's not that. How serious is this or can it be btw?

loose plastics like arch trim and under front lower cross member splash guards can go loose and flap about at speed only.

You'll find the belt ok mate, and you'll be able to tell if its slack by pressing it in the middle. Holding on revs, and smelling rubber sounds like belt to me mate. Mine does that sometimes, ease of the revs and the smell goes??? that's your fan-belt, nothing serious.
Here's a tip for ya, carry a pair of women's tights in your car, they are the best emergency fan-belt ever. I know that because I've had to do it with one of my previous cars.

Back