No washer pump (fuse keeps blowing)

Hello everybody,

I am the proud owner a 2001 K11 Micra 1.4i :)

A couple of weeks ago I realised that I had no front or rear washer pump working, and neither the intermittent wipers (the continuous ones work at both speeds, front and rear). I changed the 10A fuse (it was blown) but as soon as I pushed the switch the fuse blew again.

I tried contacting different garages here in the Bedford area but they ask me about 60-100 pounds just to diagnose the problem.

Could anybody help me diagnose it and fix it myself cheaply or at least advise me for a honest garage here in the Bedford, Milton Keynes or Luton area?

Currently I understand that if I have to do it myself I have to get out the pumps but I don't really know how to access them.

Thank you very much in advance!!

Well bud, I ain't no fitter, but, that's got to be a short. Wire rubbing somewhere, you just gotta find it. use one of those cheapy earthing things that light up and follow it from there.:)

Thank you very much!

How can I do it? As I said I have no idea how to access the washer pump to verify the wiring.

Thank you again!

i wont lie :)
my pump stopped working,i suspected my switch on the lever control,changed it and all worked again,,,,,,your facelift may be another fault.

An update: I have changed the fuse after almost one year without having any in there and when I tried the washer pump there were no noises coming from it nor water being sprayed but the intermittent wipes were working ok.

Is it the washer pump gone then or it might still be the switch?

Its the pump thats gone mate, there is a place on amazon that does em for about 15 quid i think it is. I have replaced mine twice now, they aint that good tbh, but they work. The inside of the pump corrodes and the shaft rusts, so it gets all seized up, you can clean it up, but it just fails again after a few weeks/months. The pump is under the front offside arch liner, so that has to come off to get to it, takes about 20 mins to change.

Thank you very much for your reply, I have bought one some time ago but I did not change it because I don't know how to access it. How do I remove the front offside arch liner?

Should be a couple of 10mm bolts under the front of the bumper, then there is the trim push clip things holding the liner in, and a 10mm bolt on the front of the sill, i think off hand there are about 5-6 of the plastic push clips and i think 2-3 screws on the outer of the arch

Back