Nissanubaru Micra WRX i'll explain

Give it a bit of a polish, I find that helps :)

What dya think

20130601_190837_zpsf3093144.jpg

Anyone want to know something quite scary (in its own right)
Subaru impreza wishbones are nye on identical to k10 ones. The only reason they wont fit is the ball joint for the hubs is a tad large. You'd also need to either change the rear bush or drill and reinforce another hole 10mm behind the original.
Personally I'd custom polybush it and use the micra mounts
Being as I'm running an ej20 I haven't got to worry about the ball joint. Pics to follow soon...

Just thought I'd clear something up with you all. This was near finished a while ago running and moving etc. Yet its back to square one.
So why am I back to the start? Well our white donor shell was verrryy rusted but with most of it going to be renewed to accept scooby parts it passed us by. Its when it came to final mount making that it got too much. The materials we woulda needed to get it built would of cost exactly what I paid for an absolutely beautiful example of a k10. That I'm now breaking for spares (mine has enough spares now)
So its being reshelled at my place instead. Which means just me on a driveway and my tools in my spare time. Instead of 5 people, a lift and bigger better tools going at it all week :)
Its just going to be slower than expected now with just me doing it but I'll crack it soon (I've technically built it once) except this is an auto so I've pedals to do too

I have no time really or space but if I have an idea I'll follow it through. Done bike engined karts. 50cc beer crate. Alfa v6 cinquecento. Then I picked on K10s. My subaru is definitely the hardest yet :)
I was even going to put a mini moto engine is my little mans crazy coupe car. Misses said no.. but I will lower it

Stop mocking and start building :mad:
I am I am... I keep getting stopped by little things like the seized brake pipe bolts. Handbrake cable refusing to leave the car.
That much waxoil and crap I'm struggling getting to the bolts on everything. The stripping and prep of the micra is going to take longer than the build itself :(

Well weekend away to demon tweeks over with.
Tomorrow the real work begins
Grinder at the ready. Welder ready. Extinguisher ready too.
Anyone fancies helping. Pop down I wont mind ;)
Tomorrow's project. The gearbox tunnel.

Incase anybodys interested in how tight a fit the subaru engine etc is in a k10
The front panel is where the engine touches
It slots millimetre perfect in the front of the chassis legs except.. they narrow towards the back so they have to go.
On the micra your driveshafts sit central with the steering rack behind. In this special case its the other way round. What a fiddle I've got going on. Thankfully its all subframed
No pictures though... because there's nothing to really show

Tomorrow the tunnel gets cut out
And the gearbox will be mounted should all go to plan. Just have to get some steel :confused: to make my bits n bobs up

Still no pictures though unless you wanna see a subaru gearbox laid under a k10? And a bare shelled k10 with permanent marker lines on it

I've a feeling I'm going to be pulling that gearbox in and out several times yet.. already got back ache :p
Tomorrow there will be proper progress. I'm excited :D

It has begun. There's even pictures for the whingers *cough* karlj *cough* :p
20130611_100128_zps3bc4c938.jpg

There's a subaru gearbox under there ;)
20130611_100144_zpsecea4607.jpg

Bit more progress
20130611_130931_zpsb842f7dc.jpg

Lack of cutting discs has stopped play temporarily. So that's all for a couple of hours
Dam micra is bloody tough with its 2mm double skin it takes some cutting
Tested the gearbox clearanceat the back etc. Beautiful
Its a careful process I dont want to be crabbing down the road so lining it up has to be precise. Once this is in the rest should be alot simpler.
Less cutting more fabrication which is more my thing

Yup 80mm eithet side too narrow. But with it being subframed its easier to work with as that takes care of the wishbone mounting points
There's a 106 gti on ebay right now with this running gear in :)

To cope with my excessive width is a surprise for jae. But its quite simple to work out once the rear wheels are in place and central

So more pictures. Today was a success... sort of
Firstly. Armed with new discs I finished off the tunnel. Slightly different to how the old white shell we did was done and for good reason. Good square lines are easier to work with when making this tunnel. Hindsight is a great thing
20130611_161425_zps33a07a69.jpg

20130611_161436_zpseacd695d.jpg

20130611_161444_zpsca60255a.jpg

Next job was to get the gearbox actually in place rather than laid under. Forgot the gearstick recess but I know that ive got to raise half of the back section of the tunnel anyways so no worries
20130611_172353_zps122f3b57.jpg

20130611_172419_zps9585ead1.jpg

You can see how much room I dont have for the engine
20130611_172408_zps51f094bd.jpg

This is how it stayed because one of these went walkies so I gave up. Plus tea is ready and I've two blinds to put up. So called it a day.... found the other as I tidied up to come in.... typical
20130611_172444_zpsa3b0da27.jpg

So I couldn't mount it in the end I'm making two mounts out of them
But that should be easily completed tomorrow :) that's why I say almost a success today but not far off
The new tunnel will onlyl be made once the prop and rear setup are mounted in the right position
Roll on tomorrow :D

Its 3mm too far forward for the front panel. I cant move it back either
I'd planned for space framed front anyways :) so I'm not too paniced. Plus I cut the tunnel to a 10 inch width. Instead last times 8.5 but I forgot to offset it half inch left. So its tight. The box touches the floor plan on the left

Back