Nissan Micra GS 1.235L 1990 upgrades

I have a Micra GS 1.2L 1990 in beige, it's also a 5dr, it looks horrible at the moment as people have paint strippered it and keyyed it but i'm in the process of doing it up, i want to make it sound meatier, make the engine more efficient and powerful, the only thing i've got on order is a new K&N air filter as the one that came with the car was ****ed. I'd just like some advice from people who've got an idea what they're doing, is there a turbo that fits this car? Where can i buy whole new suspensions, what can't i do etcetc, Just need some help with my lil project car really, much regards for anyone who can help

steve

Welcome to the forum Steve ;)
Any pictures of you k10? Then we can see the progression.
If your going to do suspension and want to go low don't waste your money on lowering spring, and I've never chopped springs so no idea what they are like.
Might as well as your pennies and go for the polo 6n coilovers, however it will need some modification in order to fit.

Well here's mine
http://www.micra.org.uk/index.php?posts/582566
Known as H701

My other one is a tad mental and probably not what you're looking for

So what are you looking to achieve engine wise? Hp figure? Torque figure? Eco?
You say turbo... what budget do you have? Somewhere around £1000 isn't far off what you'll need

Suspension plans? Low and stiff? A proper handing car?

Sorry such a late respond been busy past couple days.
Well this car is a long term project hoping to get most of it done by summer. What i'm trying to achieve is a list of things, to start with handling, my car still has the original shocks and springs on and the car tilts every time I take a corner at any given speed, I was thinking for that lowering springs and new shocks but have no idea on stuff like this and can't afford anything to go wrong. Wouldn't know what to buy and is there any other things I can do to make the handling better and sort out the body roll I'm getting?

I'm also wanting to get more acceleration out of my car and make it fit for long journeys from here to up north, where I live on an island there are no nice long stretches of road so i'd rather acceleration than anything. I've put performance HT leads in, new 4 pronged spark plugs as my other ones were one pronged and ****ed, a newer coil pack from a micra at the scrappy and new distributor cap. Is there anything else I can do to help with what i'm trying to get?

Also considering a tombstone backbox or twin exit for now as I do not have enough money for a complete system yet. Any ideas where to get them?

here is a few photos of my car-

micra1.jpg

As you can probably see the bonnet has had paint stripper chucked over it which i'm planning to sort out after crimbo.
micra21.jpg

I'm planning at some point to make my grill open mouth, get wind deflectors for all 4 doors, get a sun strip made (don't know where yet) that's black and says "NISSAN", i've seen on here someone used a renault scenic front splitter type thing so i'm going to do that and see what it's like, also brand new original Nissan mudflaps.

the biggest problem I face at the moment is this-
micra_312.jpg

The rear door this side, I had an old lady reverse out of a concealed drive on a mainroad at speed and smashed my back door. Had it pulled out as much as was possible but it's still not pulled out to it's original condition and the collision affected my window and it's touch to wind up and down so I've taken the handle off so my mates don't use it by accident as it's severly hard to do back up. So yeah, that'll need replacing.

I also have a question about by front doors, the door card doesn't have holes for speakers, I haven't taken it off yet as I haven't got round to it but does anyone know if this k10 has the holes in the doors ready for speakers ? As my door doesn't have the hole and rubber grommit ready for cable to be run through.

I just want this Micra to have a spray job, look nice, have better acceleration and handling etcetc you get my jist.

Sorry it's such a long post but I don't have an amazing amount of knowledge when it comes to cars but electrics I'm fine with being a trained Electrician ;)

Any help or ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

1386661108240.jpg
That's the only picture I have of the inside where you can see the door without a door card so I hope that helps

First suspension: body roll is caused by soft springs and a relatively large weight transfer
By stiffening the springs we control weight transfer therefore body roll.
Lowering a car brings its centre of gravity down and its roll axis.
Best solution here is coilovers. Polo 6n ones fit with a little modification. Once you have those get the car corner weighted and it'll handle brilliantly. It also means you have spare suspension if needs be

Next engine: changing the ignition system won't gain you any power but it will make it more efficient. The cheapest wau to make it 'go faster' is to lighten the car which increases point one,'power to weight ratio'. Anything you do to squeeze more power will cost a fair bit of money
Also what many people forget is brakes. A faster car isn't necessarily powerful and there's alot of people that think peak hp and a quarter mile time makes a fast car its not true. With upgraded brakes you can stop faster and brake later increasing important point two, 'average speed', braided brake lines and cheaper mintex pads will see you right

That picture does help actually thanks, the Polo 6n coilovers, how much modification is needed and what does that entail?
I'm trying to make my car in a state where it can handle long journeys and get everything back to new as possible,because in the past like 3 years it's had new head gasket, new clutch and gearbox and i'd like a shiny engine bay. As for the brakes I was going to replace the drums but you saying about brake lines and pads I could easily do that one, cheers.

That picture does help actually thanks, the Polo 6n coilovers, how much modification is needed and what does that entail?
I'm trying to make my car in a state where it can handle long journeys and get everything back to new as possible,because in the past like 3 years it's had new head gasket, new clutch and gearbox and i'd like a shiny engine bay. As for the brakes I was going to replace the drums but you saying about brake lines and pads I could easily do that one, cheers.
The coilovers need the rear bush cutting down... or the axle modifying (if you can weld?) Either way is simple and that's the back done.
The fronts are a tiny bit more complicated. The top mount will need drilling to accept the new wider shock tube and where it mounts you'll need to drill a new top hole... and have it reinforced with a welded plate :)

Forewarning... the polo 6n coilovers come with incredibly stiff springs and are extremely uncomfortable so bare that in mind. Other softer springs are available and definitely recommended

Yup simple brake pad/shoe change and some braided lines will tighten the brakes right up
(Drum brakes are better for handbrake turns ;))

You can get the engine bay steam cleaned but taking the ma10 engine out is so simple you can have it out in an hour or 2 respray the engine bay and put the engine back in, in a good day

Sounds do-able for the coilovers, how do I find out what other springs I can put on instead? I can't have a rock solid ride as you literally wouldn't believe the roads on this ****ty island.

I'll get some new pads and shoes this week, then the braided lines and drums, (need those handbrake turns in my life ;) aha)

Next sunny day on my day off that may be what I have to do, cheers for the help mate

Sounds do-able for the coilovers, how do I find out what other springs I can put on instead? I can't have a rock solid ride as you literally wouldn't believe the roads on this ####ty island.

I'll get some new pads and shoes this week, then the braided lines and drums, (need those handbrake turns in my life ;) aha)

Next sunny day on my day off that may be what I have to do, cheers for the help mate
Not a problem matey
Proper handbrakes require a hydro handbrake :D unlimited fun

Just search for springs that are 2.25" in diameter then the spring rate will vary... but if the roads are as bad as you say... you'll be looking at 160/180lb/in springs... starts getting complicated. If they're bumpy but smooth 200/250 or if they're just smooth 280/320

160/180 is more firm rally style :p

Sounds like a whale of a time :) Sounds cheers, the roads are pretty bad, the nicest stretch of road closeish to me has got a pothole on the side of the road that is no joke about half a foot deep and i've been pushed over into it by a van once, never again. I think rally style sounds about right for my style of driving (and roads) ;)

Back