1985/86 Nissan Micra Idle When Hot

D

dantheman_74

My friend took her Nissan Micra to a local mechanic to carry out the MOT. It failed on emissions so he "did some stuff" to make it pass. Now not only does it do 7 miles to a fiver petrol, but as soon as the temp gauge starts to rise off 'C' it won't run!!! This is a 988cc engine. I noticed black water from the exhaust so I checked the oil.....2 inches above the max on the dip stick!!! I drained out 5 litres of engine oil, this engine only takes 2.8 litres with a new filter! Her grandad put in some new points but he isn't sure if they're adjusted properly.........HELP...I've never delt with points before! Also noticed I couldn't adjust the idle speed screw in the carb, this had been bent inside the carb, near it's point. Today I fitted a replacement carb from a 1990 micra, same thing really. Any one got any ideas on why this car won't run when hot please....?

EDIT: I guess everyone's as stumped as me then!? Someone suggested these cars are prone to burst diaphrams in the fuel pump.....anyone heard that?

Andrew

Club Member
You need to know if it is the ignition or the fuelling really. If it is running at all, then the timing can't be too far out, or their would be complaints of a lack of power.

It's the usual check the ignition (plugs, distributor, rotor arm, coil, leads) and the fuel filter. Never heard of the fuel pump breaking on the Micra, and can't see it being affected by temperature.

H

Herr_spl1ff

The diaphram in the fuel pump is easy enough to check, but doubt it's that. There are 6 (I think) allen bolts holding the top on, undo them and take it off and you'll be able to see.

Best bet is to start at the beginning and work through or talk to the mechanic and find out what he did...

First, buy a Haynes manual if you haven't already! Then follow the procedures in there for setting the points, adjusting the carb and setting the timing, in that order. When you've done this once, go back to the start and do it again, you'll probably find you still need to adjust some stuff!

As Andrew said, check the electrics too. If you don't know when the plugs and leads were last replaced or it was a while ago, change them as they degrade over time - unlikely to be the problem but will help eliminate things and improves fuel efficiency and running.

Hope that helps :)

S

Slim

All i can suggest, i get a distributer and coil of a 89 onwards model, which is electric ignition, put that on and set the timing properly.

I doubt its a HT system fault (apart from the coil) and they normally play up in the cold and damp.

K

kippermanbike

Did this ever get resolved?

Hi, just seen your post, about the car stopping as soon as the temp goes above C. Black liquid coming out of Exhaust and drainned 5L of oil from Engine.

It sounds to me like a Cracked block or Head.

Please let me know if you fixed it? I got problems too with my micra, but if people are going to respond saying change HT leads plugs points to your problem. I want to know how helpful it was.

Thanks
Chris