Nissan 200sx

awesome car, SR20DE(T) FTW!

my girlfriends dad has one pushing out 330bhp at the wheels,

make sure you get the S14 silvia K or J iirc, just as long as it has the facelift projector lights....

stupidly quick with the right work done.

well worth the insurance!

i say get the s13

alot more retro and alot more fun!

Sr20 conversion on coilovers and you cant beat the feeling!

i love it as much as my micra, and thats ALOT lol

Well i was thinking if ive got enough money saved up by next year ill get the s15 cause i like the back of them a lot more and it would be the SR20DE(T) for deffo! 200bhp and 140mph standard cant complain... lol and it would have to be the same kuro black as my micra :)

£2000 just for insurance :eek:

Old shape S14's are getting cheap now maybe 2-3k you can pick up a good example. Just as quick as the newer shape S14's but cheaper.As with most cars the handling needs sorting if not already done.

If it were me i would look on the www.sxoc.com many already have had a little tweek for better handling and a bit more power. 250 bhp isnt hard to achieve on the original turbo which means it's as quick as the standard S15 and they normally do the all the mods right on the sxoc ;)

S15's are nice but very expensive.

S13's are 170 out the box, a stg1 tuned S13 (chip filter exhaust plugs boost) is about 220 ish, 240 ish with and intercooler upgrade (Y) that's still with the original turbo :p great fun but still insurance group 17 :doh: not great for you younger pups under 25 :(

If you want power for cheap try an old classic car on classic car insurance or if you have the bread get an S15 (Y)

Im 18 and i did the insurance as if im 19 and have a years no claims which will be next year... and the insurance on a normal 1996 200sx 2.0L non turbo was 1800 and turbo or touring (type R?) as i think it is, was 1900. i think a s13 or 14 would suit me better though and be cheaper as you say cause ive had a look on autotrader and can pick one up for about 2-3k

yep you could get a stg1 S13 for about 1.5-2k all sorted, but then it would cost you the same again just to insure it for a year :(

I bet these are standard car quotes too , as soon as you add springs shocks or any mods they will either not touch you or it will go up :doh:

I suppose theres no point in me saying get a few more years no claims, save up and get a performance car in a couple of years time :D

Hmm, I wouldnt trust the online quotes if you're looking for a 200SX. I was looking for one myself and soon realised theres no way I could afford the insurance. I'd be doubtful if you'd actually get insurance at 18 at all, nevermind what the internet quotes say. 2k sounds about right if you were a named driver under a parents name to me. Its a group 18 car, and all the UK ones have had the #### driven off them, so i'd recommend look at a fresh import job, and thats group 19. And if you say you are going to mod it, then man are you ganna pay through the nose.

Well you can see where im going with this. I've often had moments of inspiration where I thought about a car then soon realised...oh #### how am i ganna pay for this. Actually at your age I remember phoning an insurer about a modified 1.4 Civic and I got laughed off the phone...I hate insurance. :(

But dispite my words of pesimism keep us posted! I really hope it does work out, and who knows you might inspire me to look into getting myself one again.

My mate rebuilds these engines for a living, yeh and in all fairness all the UK ones have been thrashed. But you don't buy a car like this to drive it carefully do ya now?! I prefer the s14s personally and you can pick these up cheaper than you think!

Had an s14a since 2003 and would never sell it the s14a is the best looking out of all the models even the s15 IMHO.

They can bit you hard if you dont respect them and alot of people jump straight into them and try to drive them as hard as there hatch, which leads them to discover oil and crash.

Listen out for knocking.

Blue smoke

Mayo/ sludge on the rad cap

They make a ticking sound from the top end (Tis only injectors doing there job)
When pulling off first time each day the VVT can make an odd chingle/rattle but again nothing to major to worry about.

If you think you hear a knocking put your foot on the clutch and if it goes its just a slightly worn clutch release bearing.

Hope this helps

Back