newbie with a few queries

just bought a 1.4 year 2000....car came with no codes for immobiliser, radio etc, no key code or PIN no.....i'm not worried about the radio as i'll replace it with a CD/radio, but do i need the immobiliser code for any reason (e.g. when disconnecting the battery) and do i need key codes etc? (i have just got a spare NATS key cut at a cost of £40!)

also, the engine management light has been disabled (it doesn't come on when ignition is switched on) and service records show that a fault code P0171 has been stored, probably oxygen sensor......i guess i need to replace or reconnect management light and and get sensor and possibly air flow meter replaced?

i must say i'm really impressed with the car, its the youngest we've ever owned!
but why did they go for the complicated rear axle set-up, rather than the usual trailing beam arrangement?

finally, any recommendation for a suitable central locking upgrade kit would be welcome (its a 3 door)

Adrian

Hello Adrian. Welcome. The 1.4 is impressive for sure (I have one) Don't know about any of your problems, but my engine light has been on for a couple of years or more, I took the bulb out in the end anyway. Almost certainly lambda....... due to supermarket petrol I'm told.
Personally I wouldn't worry about it, my Suzuki engine light has been on for god knows how many years, doesn't seem to make any difference either.

Hi. Doesn't matter if you disconnect your battery as long as your key chip, the immu, and the ecu are a matched set you'll be ok. The code is stored in non volatile memory.

Back