Hello all,

I thought I'd better introduce myself as I've been on here just under a couple of months now.

A few months ago I would have never ever considered being in a micra, never mind owning one. I was looking to buy a cheap runabout to save horrific running costs in my other car. I had a look at KAs, AXs, Clio mk1s etc.. and had no luck. Most were in horrific condition or sold by the time I'd rang the seller.

I randomly called the seller of a 5 door silver 1.4 K11C X reg with 3 previous owners (2 were father & daughter) and 111k. The car was still there.

After a quick visit and a test drive, I was pleasantly surprised at how good the little micra was. It had almost zero rust (including the underside) and the engine bay was gleaming. After checking all the particulars I bought it for just over £500. Bargain.

It had quite high miles but sometimes that's a good thing. It had been a family car for almost all its life, garaged and well maintained. I've already racked up 5k on it since the start of February. It's been on a couple of 800 mile return journeys from Wiltshire to Edinburgh, and made it up Hardknot pass in the lakes (in the snow!)

The micra is an awesome little car. It's not rapid or exotic but it doesn't pretend to be. I already love it to bits and can see why the lady was crying when she sold it.

So far I have given it: a full fluid change, plugs, filters, new discs and pads, cleaned the maf, wipers, a new temp sensor as it ran rich on hot starts, fully under sealed, sprayed the rocker cover red, sprayed all the bumper strips, door handles and boot handle back to black using the black 6 quid halfords paint (amazing difference), rotary polished, and reattached the gearstick spring. All for about £110.

It also recently had a full new throttle body in 2012, new standard exhaust, new CV joints and boots, new front tyres and a few other bits at the last MOT. It's also MOTd till the end of Sep 15. What a bargain.

I need to be rigid and not go crazy, as it is supposed to be my runabout, BUT I do plan to fit some whiteline antiroll bars, coilovers and some other chassis bracing. I just want to reduce body roll and improve handling a bit.

This is a great forum and I've been avidly reading people's posts. It's good to see people learning on these cars and proving that you don't need to spend epic money to have fun and embarrass people in much more expensive cars (which it's already done in the lakes ).

Happy motoring everyone.

Back