Newbie from Perth (not Scotland)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently got a red '96 (built October '95) K11 LX.

I've always loved (but never owned, except R/C) the red Rover Mini Cooper S, so I'll be looking for others who have done the white roof and bonnet stripes to pay homeage :)

red-Micra.jpg

And the homeage:
12031m.jpg

m_cooper.jpg

I used to have an EP82 Starlet GT Turbo, I still have a spare chassis that was crash insurance, I measured the bonnet width and they are the same, longer length to allow the rounded nose, the mounts are not the same though so a fair bit of work, but could be neat for an air duct to a set of quad throttle bodies.

A super-light flywheel and 13" mini-lites are probably higher up the order to give it that small responsive feeling.

hi welcome to the club :D

you should come here ;) we have so many of those red minis with the white roofs and stripes that its boring

hi welcome to the club :D

you should come here ;) we have so many of those red minis with the white roofs and stripes that its boring

Thanks, when I used to work in a newsagent several years ago the custom Minis magazine 3months behind UK issue was always exciting to see how popular they were and differently people were modifying them. All my cars have been white (sensible for the heat here) bar one gun-grey EP82 so this red one is a shot of colour to enjoy :)

re: lowered, it has yellow springs that don't look standard, my guess is a basic 30mm lower set. The tyres are 185/70-R14, I read the standard are 155/70-R14, making these ones 22mm taller (radius) and 7.62% taller gearing.

It came cheap (AU$1.5k, ~700quid) with a steering vibration increasing from negligible at 60kph, to serious at 110kph. Tyres are suspected so I'll be looking for a 50-R14 profile after I confirm by swapping front to rear. I've been held up by a pair of stubborn rear wheel nuts rusted and rounded inverse-hex-head locknuts.

I'll call the local wrecker who brings in dirt cheap jap import tyres/mags and marks them up, in case there's any old Mini-lites or OZ Racing 13" classics to be had with smaller tyres.

I'm also keen to get a super-light clutch, beat a stock 4-2-1 set of headers into clearing the aircon model's alternator, and the touch of Mini character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back