new user

Just found this forum. I'm running a CG 1.3 engine in a classic mini... custom inlet manifold and 4 branch pipe. i am finding that the gearing is a bit high, i'm running on 13 " wheels, but would like a bit higher top speed at the expense of acceleration any advice on final drive ratios would be appreciated.
100_0408.jpg

100_0407.jpg

Welcome buddy, I must say that's an awesome car you have there, looks mint (Y). First time I've seen a Mini with a Micra engine in it :laugh:

I might just need to get used to it. according to sat nav speedo its doing 90 at about 4500-5000rpm

You could try modify a box of a sunny like the ga14/16 or Even a sr? There would be allot of work in it but the top speed would be higher

Welcome buddy, I must say that's an awesome car you have there, looks mint (Y). First time I've seen a Mini with a Micra engine in it :laugh:

I've noticed it's becoming quite popular

I've noticed it's becoming quite popular

Well it wouldn't be my first choice. But each to their own and all that. Looks tidy though, and there doesn't seem to be much more space for anything bigger :laugh:

Nice colour by the way :grinning:

Its tight enough as it is! i was hoping there was maybe a final drive/crownwheel and pinion available.

I'd imagine it would be tight, you could always get one custom made but your looking at big money and I'd doubt that you could swap the bits from a ga/sr box I may be wrong though

I'm very impressed that it's all your own work (Y). More pics? Be interesting to see what else you've done to it :grinning:

I guess a custom set of final drive gears is the only option, if that is even possible? the Haynes manuals these days don't show any detail of gearboxes, and I've never seen anyone here messing with their gearbox, inside it that is.

That colour is just way too awesome, and those alloys? :love:

I like the way you've managed to make it all fit together as well - remounting the alternator, fan, and vital fluid bottles (Y)

I guess a custom set of final drive gears is the only option, if that is even possible? the Haynes manuals these days don't show any detail of gearboxes, and I've never seen anyone here messing with their gearbox, inside it that is.

An engineering place would beable to knock them up for you but like I said not cheap, bespoke things never are! Although I'm not sure if there would be enough interest but you could get the price down if you got a bulk of them made and did a group buy. But the price would probably put most off but ask around a few places you never know you might get someone who'd do it reasonably cheap

Like i said, I dont want to spend loads. If theres nothing from other micra/nissan models i could use i'll live with it the way it is. After all its a huuuge improvement over what i removed.

Like i said, I dont want to spend loads. If theres nothing from other micra/nissan models i could use i'll live with it the way it is. After all its a huuuge improvement over what i removed.

Hmm yes I would imagine the old mini engine not exactly the most refined motor, but not the worst given it's day and age

I'd imagine with the inlet / exhaust mods and stock motor I'll have somewhere between 70 and 80 bhp. To get this out of an a series motor would cost a bit and reliability would become an issue. Also ive got an extra gear over most mini's.

I'd imagine with the inlet / exhaust mods and stock motor I'll have somewhere between 70 and 80 bhp. To get this out of an a series motor would cost a bit and reliability would become an issue. Also ive got an extra gear over most mini's.

Over 100bhp is possible with the 1300cc with out turboing, the z10 cube came with a cg13 pushing over 100bhp as standard
It's nice to see a mini that hasn't been vteced

very impressive rids :cool:
the mini guys usually go for the smaller pre 98 1.0 g/box with the 4.1 diff (the k10 3.6 diff should fit)
but if yours is the 1.3 g/box it should have the 3.9 diff (the 1.4 almera probably has a taller diff for that)

Over 100bhp is possible with the 1300cc with out turboing, the z10 cube came with a cg13 pushing over 100bhp as standard
It's nice to see a mini that hasn't been vteced
i didn't want to cut any of the shell. vtec conversions cut a lot of the front end away and i would imagine they don't drive like a mini any more. the CG engine gives a big increase in power and weighs less than the a series engine. the car with this engine in still feels like a mini and is quick but not in a stupid way. and is still has the original cc (1275) who knows, in 6 months time i might be looking for cams etc.

Very tidy indeed i would give matt humphries a ring in oxford on here as mph would be able to help with gearing as they rally micras also ed at fusion! Although i have the same problem running a 1.3 with 1ltr gear box i had tiny 13inch wheels with 175/50 was a nightmare!

I've had my k10 1000cc 4speed up to 100 speedo indicated dunno what the gps would indicate though probably 45 lol

lol my 5speed wasn't much better i had 100 out of mine but it just run out of power :laugh: been in a mates gto at 165 and it was still putting my head in the head rest then i get back in mine and it just feels stupidly slow. im not one for top speed tho i prefer the twistys.

lol my 5speed wasn't much better i had 100 out of mine but it just run out of power :laugh: been in a mates gto at 165 and it was still putting my head in the head rest then i get back in mine and it just feels stupidly slow. im not one for top speed tho i prefer the twistys.

I'll not say how fast my s14 did or even better my dads 700bhp evo ;)

What speed have you had it up to so far??
as said earlier 90 on sat nav. that was straight there, no waiting. its probably quick enough in a mini but i cant help thinking it would pull something like a 3:1 or 2.7:1 final drive without losing much acceleration. sitting at 3500-4000 revs keeps up with everything on motorways with nothing much overtaking.

as said earlier 90 on sat nav. that was straight there, no waiting. its probably quick enough in a mini but i cant help thinking it would pull something like a 3:1 or 2.7:1 final drive without losing much acelleration. sitting at 3500-4000 revs keeps up with everything on motorways with nothing much overtaking.

i think the tallest diff for the RS5F30 was a 3.55 fitted to some diesel nissans rids

Is that box a direct fit to the 1.3 Micra engine then Frank?

Here's a graph of a F/D ratio change, I'm assuming the gears in both boxes are the same, they may not be though. Standard looks like a good useable ratio for performance.

http://www.fatboyraceworks.com/gear...eter_2=13&Calculate=Calculate/Graph&Compare=1

the 1.3 and pre 2000 facelift 1.0 have the RS5F30 eh 1275 (and the 1.4 mera) and it looks like you are right about the pinion being integral with the gearshaft eh :eek:

Cheers Frank, so we have the RS5F30 from a diesel Almera as the best option for anyone fitting a CG engine in a Mini

whoops, beaten by two people

so a micra diesel or almera 1.4 box will bolt onto my 1993 cg13 engine and is not physically any bigger?

i dont know what model diesel , but yes the 1.4 mera has the same box (the 1.6 mera has the slightly bigger RS5F31 g/box)

Cheers Frank, so we have the RS5F30 from a diesel Almera as the best option for anyone fitting a CG engine in a Mini
personally, i would fit the smaller RS5F41 (preface 1.0) g/box like bigchief, mine has withstood 100hp ragging no probs

Back