new shocks - question

funky2nite

Ex. Club Member
(Y)eyy guys, just been really concerned lately on the ride quality of my 15yr old k11 prefacelift, If I'm not mistaken I called an auto parts store locally but was super busy atm, so he recalled quickly the prices for new shocks for the k11 would be Eur43 for front and Eur30 for rear... .. I got that as for a pair.. is it kind of impossible to be that cheap?

I need to improve greatly the ride quality as I've just been into my in-laws k11 facelift and the ride quality is still like NEW even though it's 9-10yrs old. Btw I'm running on 15's while he's still running on stock..

but still mine's hard on bumps and in pot holes lool.. Also I have kind of a squeaky sound whenever I move whilst inside the car a squeaky sound can be heard very feint but it can be heard like 3-4 times before it stops.. and stupid me, my friend had to be to tell me that these are signs that the shocks have worn out, else the shocks would do only one sound til lthe car comes steady again.

so to cut this short...anything in particualr to look for when buying shocks? can those quotes I got through the phone be real ? btw 100quid = 150 euro

I just want a much better ride quality and I'm sure I can improve it drastly. would the springs need a change? I'm on a budget but if it really makes difference I might consider it... I need your opinion guys .. you're the micra vetereans in the UK :p

cheers!
Ian - MALTA

you can,t have comfort and handling ian fwn, its always going to be a compromise, have you tested your shocks ? :)

tbh id just go by, if the rebound when pushing on the car stops quickly (no bouncy bouncy) and they arent leaking then they're probably fine.

price you got id reckon that'd be for one...but could be wrong.

As for the squeak, check the dust covers on the shockers as sometimes they get caught and ermm squeak :D

If you want a better ride, as in handling youre probs better getting aftermarket uprated parts...unless youre after a stock feel...id check to make sure your in-laws car doesnt have Anti Roll Bars fitted (if yours doesnt), as these will improve the ride on corners...but again if its the up and down motion, your 15's will be more noticable than 13's / 14's as youve probably get lower profile tyres fitted which will transfer more noise etc :)

Hope that makes sense, as ive kinda jumped about a bit :laugh:

you can,t have comfort and handling ian fwn, its always going to be a compromise, have you tested your shocks ? :)

lol what'd you mean by tested? I've been brutal at times with micra..hard cornering...I love it! slamming my friends' face at the window! muhahah grr

tbh id just go by, if the rebound when pushing on the car stops quickly (no bouncy bouncy) and they arent leaking then they're probably fine.

price you got id reckon that'd be for one...but could be wrong.

As for the squeak, check the dust covers on the shockers as sometimes they get caught and ermm squeak :D

If you want a better ride, as in handling youre probs better getting aftermarket uprated parts...unless youre after a stock feel...id check to make sure your in-laws car doesnt have Anti Roll Bars fitted (if yours doesnt), as these will improve the ride on corners...but again if its the up and down motion, your 15's will be more noticable than 13's / 14's as youve probably get lower profile tyres fitted which will transfer more noise etc :)

Hope that makes sense, as ive kinda jumped about a bit :laugh:

I'm sure my in-laws k11 has a front and rear anti-roll's whilst mine has only 1 at the rear. my main concern is when going over bumps and driving over pot holes..in mine you'll get a much worse hit than in my in-laws.... could it be the spring? I thought of the shocks...because of that noise..and they are suited to absorb the shock produced when driving over these curses..in the street..

Back