Bilstein Shocks

J

JamieGti

Not quite KYB standards but pretty cheap for shocks and springs!

http://rallynuts.com/motorsport/K11_Suspension_2085/

Anyone got an comments on these?

I think this is the way I'm going for a first mod on my bare shell K11...
I'm currently thinking about a sr20. Does anyone know if these shocks and springs will take the extra weight, or will I have to fashion a custom set-up to get the handling right? Either that or I have a set of R1 carbs lying around... I'm going to use these on the origional 1litre lump and do some various internal work on it.

What's the best idea? As I have no experience as yet with the k11!

Any links to some professional information would be fantastic!

-JamieGti

Alienfish360

Awesome Dawson
Not being funny dude, but if you need to ask questions like these, then you have not yet done enough research to start putting an SR20DE into a K11.

OP
OP
J

JamieGti

Research...

Alienfish360 said:
Not being funny dude, but if you need to ask questions like these, then you have not yet done enough research to start putting an SR20DE into a K11.

Time and time again you can browse websites that tell you what you can and cannot do. I find the best kind of research is to ask people that have already done it and had the experience.

I'm just toying with the idea of the SR20, if i feel it's too big a task... I'll just stick to my origional plan with the R1 carbs and some fun in the workshop!

So basically this is my second step into researching the SR20DE conversion. Right now though, I want to focus on these shocks.

Sorry if I came across like I don't know what I'm doing. This wont be my first project.

Thanks,

-JamieGti

Alienfish360

Awesome Dawson
ok, well in my opinion, the shocks are not what you want to be looking at. How are you going to mount the SR20, how are you going to get it in? You need to find a way of getting it in before you start looking at shocks.

OP
OP
J

JamieGti

Opinions

Alienfish360 said:
ok, well in my opinion, the shocks are not what you want to be looking at. How are you going to mount the SR20, how are you going to get it in? You need to find a way of getting it in before you start looking at shocks.

Road legaly... Tbh, I don't have a clue! I'll get to that problem later.

I don't fully understand what you mean by "getting it in". If it's in terms of equipment or knowledge?

And:

I now have another fiasco, my dad's just called to say he's picked up a GSXR1000, I may have another similar project in mind.

Back to the shocks though... I'm not interested in the SR20 until I'm done reseaching the work, Pro's and Con's, money and time.

Atm, it's looking very blique... I've been having a look at Dave's Thread and Kristians. It may be more than I can chew!

Let's keep it Chassis at the moment, please?

Bilstein's... Good or bad?

Or do you know of any shocks that may be more suitable?

Type-R

Ex. Club Member
Iam using KYB gas shocks and they are great had them over 3years, and they are excellent...

dnt really know about bilstiens although had some bilstien gear on my brothers BMW and that was also excellent, they have got top dog quality.

OP
OP
J

JamieGti

Thanks...

Type-R said:
Iam using KYB gas shocks and they are great had them over 3years, and they are excellent...

dnt really know about bilstiens although had some bilstien gear on my brothers BMW and that was also excellent, they have got top dog quality.

Got an idea of the price? A friend of mine bought KYB's for his Starlet GT (that still isn't bloody finished) and i know they're great quality. These were fitted prior to ripping the car to bits... They were REALLY expensive though around £160 a corner! The micra's a bit of a daily hack... but I can't leave it standard!

I need to mod it with a budget. I have the experience and knowledge to do ALL fitting myself (with a little help from my friends :)). That's why i was considering the standard SR20 option as the work needed wont be too much trouble... just a little time consuming.

Alienfish360

Awesome Dawson
There's still chassis and work needed on the engine bay to get it into the car, and mounted, you should be researching that first, it's like choosing an exhaust system before choosing the car.

Alienfish360 said:
There's still chassis and work needed on the engine bay to get it into the car, and mounted, you should be researching that first, it's like choosing an exhaust system before choosing the car.

You're looking at in excess of £2000 to put an SR20DE engine in.

OP
OP
J

JamieGti

Well uprating the chassis members and bracing the mounts (more than likely a custom job) goes without saying... but £2000 is alot cheaper than my origional idea. Also more economical and relieable to say the least...
I want an "ordinary" (lack of a better word) everyday driver but I still want the power at the pedal when i want it. It wont be comfortable and it wont be easy... but it should be a bit of fun!
I've done ALOT of similar builds. Ex. An mi16v into a 205 TWICE.
It should be a walkover but like i said, time consuming!
I might even blog my progress...

We'll see... I'll weigh my options up. Your input is MUCH appreciated though, any more comments PLEASE let me know!

Do you have any links to help me out?

kristian

One Way Mule
Alienfish360 said:
You're looking at in excess of £2000 to put an SR20DE engine in.

I think this is not true..

if you can weld have access to good tools.. Engine crane etc... and have good knowlage and expeareance.. I think its possible to supply everything ( Primera/almera wise ) and FIT THE ENGINE for around 400

This does not include shafts or uprated brakes or rollcages blah blah... just the engine in and running..

Im going to give a rundown on prices and how much everything has cost me in my thread in the coming weeks...

mph

Official MSC Trader
If you are looking for some good uprated Bilstein dampers and springs I have 1 kit left. These kits where originally designed by Bilstein and Eibach for NME's street car. They have also been used by people rallying in the Forumal 1000 championship. Unlike the kit on the website which uses an original set up for the dampers, these Bilsteins are uprated. ( The fronts being a 40mm inverted damper. )
The kit cost £293.75 plus carriage £15.00. If you are interested drop me a email [email protected] or give me a ring.

Alienfish360

Awesome Dawson
Yep, but the major costs of your project was mainly covered by Ian when he did the engine bay work, and also your shafts.

Now to clear myself up, when I say Engine In, I mean engine in, everything connected, and the car will move.

59 bhp is more than enough

Deactivated Account
i have the bilstein setup on my daily hack and theres not alot that can compare with me round corners that you encounter everyday, i have other chassis mods but basically for the price they are fantastic and well worth the money.

OP
OP
J

JamieGti

Thank you, everyone!

I'd like to thank everyone for their input, but after having a "wee blether" with my dad... I've decided what I'm doing with the wee micra!

I'm going for the Shocks and a set of 14" 195 alloy wheels + tyres and have them paid for and fitted before the end of September.

I'll be sure to put a new post up about what type of 4pot calipers I'm getting, which should hopefully cause some more contraversy and arguements to help me make up my mind.

I'll have to decline the offer for those uprated shocks i'm affraid MPH. Thanks again though for offering. I think I can get these Bilsteins alot cheaper than this wesite elsewhere...

COMING SOON: A blog on the progress of "The Wee R1 Micra"! ;)

kristian

One Way Mule
Alienfish360 said:
Yep, but the major costs of your project was mainly covered by Ian when he did the engine bay work, and also your shafts.

Now to clear myself up, when I say Engine In, I mean engine in, everything connected, and the car will move.

The shafts are the major cost no doubt...

Not including labour though.. for the mounts I think around 3 days.. £30 quids worth of sheet metal and £20 quids worth of welding wire, gas, grinding discs, etc..

Thats £50 and the mounts are done..

The mounts are not as big a deal as everyone is making out.. just time consuming...

No Critisism towards Ian but the mounts im not 100% happy with even with my strengthening... and im concidering replacing at them at 'Stage 2'.. For the moment though im content with them just being strengthened.. I dont doubt the mounts at all now but I want them 110% in the end when the 'Forged' gear goes in...