New Radiator - DIY or Garage?

Hi there,

I am the proud owner of a Nissan Micra Vibe 1.0. The car broke down on the M1 with hot, high pressure water spurting out of the front of the radiator. I assume it needs a new one!

Does anyone have any experience replacing the radiator? If so, is it a big job or is it something I could do at home?

Any advice welcome...

Cheers,

Kris

Attachments

• Micra R227 WJA.jpg
    Micra R227 WJA.jpg
    905.5 KB · Views: 273
Was the water coming from the cap? or the fins of the radiator ? There's a big difference between the two.
A radiator change is relatively simple, but make sure you fill and bleed it correctly or you will blow your head gasket very, very quickly.
Get yourself a Haynes manual and follow the instructions mate.

Hi Kris,

I agree with Davy and Tony but if you are serious about doing your own work on her purchase a Haynes manual it's the "Bible" for DIY projects (I swear by it) but you have already done the first right thing and asked for advice on this forum!

Stick with her she is a Yellow Tiki so she would be a good restoration project not many Yellow Tiki's still around!

Please keep us posted on your progress!

Cheers
Andy :)

Thanks everyone, appreciate the advice. Hayne's manual ordered and on its way! Water was coming out of the front of the radiator (not the cap) so I'm guessing it needs replacing. Will have a crack at this myself...

Before you start ripping the radiator out just squeeze the top hoses and make sure the water isnt coming out of a split and shooting through the rad ...... making it look like a leaking rad .... nothing worse than buying a rad and finding it was a £5 hose ;)

Been a while since my last post - the car ended up sat in the garage for 7 months! I attempted to change the rad but the fact that I couldn't get underneath the car caused me major headaches! Tried jacking the car, but the jack went through the sills, so that was no good! I'll use bricks / wood next time - lesson learned!
Ended up taking it to the garage where the rad was fitted and MOT done so now back on the road.
Took this picture of a sister-ship today from Poland!

Attachments

• IMG_1265.JPG
    IMG_1265.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 220
Back