CMF_Big Tim

» CMF Member
Hi everyone

just a short post to introduce myself.

I have played with a number of cars in the past, most recently (read 5 years ago) a 308 VH Commodore, but also an N13 Exa, couple of Dattos, two other Commodores, Sigma, Scorpion, Mazda 1000 Ute, XD Falcon, RA40 Celica plus a few others that I have probably forgotten...

I have ended up through circumstance driving a manual k11 1.3 Lx Micra for the past 12 months - we traded my Commodore on a new car for my girlfriend so I ended up with her old Micra. So basically the car has grown on me to the point where I am planning to hang onto it long term.

So the Micra got graffitied on Wednesday night by some grub, which led to me putting in the elbow grease into cutting back the whole car - and you know what, it looks great. It seems car bug has bitten again and it is time to start playing.

The standard steering wheel has been replaced with an old SAAS number as a start, and a exhaust leak will force(ha ha!) me to replace the system with something sportier in the next couple of weeks. I was thinking of changing the air filter to a k&n style pod (most likely a cheap k&n rip off, but hey, Im on a budget!). If I can find some cheap wheels I will swap them - it looks like N14 SSS wheels might be a goer if I can find them. And I guess the suspension will need some lowering - but I am sure the angle grinder in the garage will have something to suggest about that ;-). Oh, and the thing needs a bloody window tint...

So yeah, thats where I am at, a standard daily driver at the moment, but a couple of run of the mill changes will make it stand out a little.

Tim

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
hi tim

it,s best to cut the top of the front springs so that they,re still preloaded a bit when the car is jacked up (i overdid one of mine, and i have to check it,s seated properly whenever i lower the jack down)

frank

CMF_funky2nite

» CMF Member
hi there mate, I'm kinda new to the cluub here too. I've got a '95 K11 1.0 micra 5dr. Yourself having the cg13 engine maybe nothing special but for us micra drivers , that engine is an interest for our rides.

replace the muffler for a cheap one through ebay with a 4.3" tip ,

get a new air induction kit through ebay which is as good as K&N but looking nicer :) for 50GBP - such kit is also an ebay

I myself I got a set of alloy wheels from either dubai or china, I forgot. I did the import myself. They costed around a 16GBP each HA :D the good thing is that there's none like 'em in my country cos this is a small warehouse manufactuing alloys and nobody knows about it. I found it through alibaba.com

that's it for now.

cheers mate!

if you'd like to see a few pics of my ride, you can find them in the thread 'ideas for modding not costy ones'

CMF_Big Tim

» CMF Member
frank2 WROTE:

"hi tim<BR><BR>it,s best to cut the top of the front springs so that they,re still preloaded a bit when the car is jacked up (i overdid one of mine, and i have to check it,s seated properly whenever i lower the jack down)<BR><BR>frank

Thanks for the tip Frank. How much did you cut off them?

CMF_Big Tim

» CMF Member
funky2nite WROTE:

"hi there mate, I'm kinda new to the cluub here too. I've got a '95 K11 1.0 micra 5dr. Yourself having the cg13 engine maybe nothing special but for us micra drivers , that engine is an interest for our rides.<BR><BR>replace the muffler for a cheap one through ebay with a 4.3" tip ,<BR><BR>get a new air induction kit through ebay which is as good as K&amp;N but looking nicer :) for 50GBP - such kit is also an ebay<BR><BR>I myself I got a set of alloy wheels from either dubai or china, I forgot. I did the import myself. They costed around a 16GBP each HA :D the good thing is that there's none like 'em in my country cos this is a small warehouse manufactuing alloys and nobody knows about it. I found it through alibaba.com<BR><BR>that's it for now. <BR><BR>cheers mate!<BR><BR>if you'd like to see a few pics of my ride, you can find them in the thread 'ideas for modding not costy ones'<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>

Hey F2N

Yep, replacing the exhaust and a pod filter is definitely on the list, I will probably pay the money to get a whole new exhaust installed though, as the existing one has some surface rust along it and is looking a bit worse for wear. Your pod filter install looks neat, I looked at the K&N website and they suggest sitting their product directly on top of the throttle body http://www.kandn.com/instructions/57-0211-1_inst.pdf
This would obviously save on the alloy pipe that you have used, but I wonder if it means hotter air for the filter?

And yeah, F2N, your ride looks sweet, thanks for your help!

Tim

smidge

» CMF Member
lowering springs are cheap and will save you the headache, adjustable panhard rod for the back if you can be stuffed

lots of 4x100pcd wheels will fit just keep an eye on ebay i got my old set redicuously cheap and the offset was just right to make em sit in the guards nicely

autobarn saas pod or whatever will fit on no worries, maybe a bit of rubber around the throttle body bit to make sure it doesn't leak, you'll have nowhere for the oil vents etc to go so ya engine bay might get a little grubby

if you're concerned about that stick the pod on some 90" angle pipe and get some appropriately sized bungs welded on

just change it every now and then as they get dirty and flow like shyte

exhaust and headers is the go if you're chasing cheap NA power

otherwise turbo it, cause no one can say a turbo micra isn't cool

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
Big Tim WROTE:

"<DIV class="quote">frank2 WROTE:<BR>
<BR>
"hi tim<BR><BR>it,s best to cut the top of the front springs so that they,re still preloaded a bit when the car is jacked up (i overdid one of mine, and i have to check it,s seated properly whenever i lower the jack down)<BR><BR>frank"</DIV><BR>
<BR>
Thanks for the tip Frank. How much did you cut off them?<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>

tim
if you dont take the aftermarket spring option, mine (and my old super s) were cut originally in situ (ground 2/3 a coil off and flicked it out, then another 2/3) but the seat has a slower spiral and the cut end does,nt sit in it 100%, so in the end i took them out and still-sawed a flatter cut and put the cut end on the top (and lost count of how many coils)
on the side that i did,nt "overdo" , i had to squash the spring down about 20mm to get the shocker nut back on, and i,ve endedup with a 40ish,mm drop

frank

CMF_funky2nite

» CMF Member
Big Tim WROTE:

"funky2nite WROTE:<BR><BR>"hi there mate, I'm kinda new to the cluub here too. I've got a '95 K11 1.0 micra 5dr. Yourself having the cg13 engine maybe nothing special but for us micra drivers , that engine is an interest for our rides.<BR><BR>replace the muffler for a cheap one through ebay with a 4.3" tip ,<BR><BR>get a new air induction kit through ebay which is as good as K&amp;N but looking nicer :) for 50GBP - such kit is also an ebay<BR><BR>I myself I got a set of alloy wheels from either dubai or china, I forgot. I did the import myself. They costed around a 16GBP each HA :D the good thing is that there's none like 'em in my country cos this is a small warehouse manufactuing alloys and nobody knows about it. I found it through alibaba.com<BR><BR>that's it for now. <BR><BR>cheers mate!<BR><BR>if you'd like to see a few pics of my ride, you can find them in the thread 'ideas for modding not costy ones'<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>"</DIV><BR><BR>Hey F2N<BR><BR>Yep, replacing the exhaust and a pod filter is definitely on the list, I will probably pay the money to get a whole new exhaust installed though, as the existing one has some surface rust along it and is looking a bit worse for wear. Your pod filter install looks neat, I looked at the K&amp;N website and they suggest sitting their product directly on top of the throttle body <A title=http://www.kandn.com/instructions/57-0211-1_inst.pdf href="http://www.kandn.com/instructions/57-0211-1_inst.pdf" target=_blank>http://www.kandn.com/instructions/57-0211-1_inst.pdf</A><BR>This would obviously save on the alloy pipe that you have used, but I wonder if it means hotter air for the filter?<BR><BR>And yeah, F2N, your ride looks sweet, thanks for your help!<BR><BR>Tim<BR>

As you said yourself, firstly I prefer that alloy look & personally I find it much nicer than the K&N while also cheaper if you mind the price.

Secondly I doubt how good it will be just on top of the throttle, consder that at high revs it moves & it's super close to the bonnet so then marks could develop on either the bonnet or the filter itself.

Also Mine is let's say a 1.5ft away from the center of the engine which may pick up less heat, still the alloy feels hot after long runs.

What I'm trying to say is that in my situation I still need that 'flexi' kind of pipe throught the grille to the tip of the filter to suck in cold air directly as as it is I feel it's still piking up a lot of hot air. So figure it out yourself on top of the throttle what it would likely to suck in.

I just attached two pics for your reference hope these help in getting a clearer idea.

Yes, you can use K&N website to get the insallation guide :D !

hope to keep in touch on our rides!
cheers

Ian

pic str8 on throttle
show_image.pl

pic with alloy pipe

show_image.pl

CMF_Big Tim

» CMF Member
kovert_k11 WROTE:

"Firstly, welcome Big Tim.. I'm in the same situation as u mate - got a micra for a little run-around work vehicle, but fell in love with it &amp; started modding it. Anyways, I'll get to the point - I've got a K&amp;N Induction kit for the micra that i'm thinking of selling... has only be in the car for a month, so if ur interested, let me know, and we can work something out...
Mate I assume a genuine K&N kit would have cost you a bomb - probably more than I wanted to spend but thanks anyway!

Tim

Back