New K10 owner

Hi everyone, I'm new to Micras and also new to driving, having only passed my test recently. Uncle gave me his old runabout - a 92 K-reg Micra - which has only done 49k miles - not too shabby for a 15yr old motor! Just got used to the non-ABS and the non-power steering (which I prefer to the driving instructor's Corsa) - but I really do need a passenger side mirror. I've tried scrapyards, mechanics shops, ebay, motorworld, everywhere to get hold of one. Anyone know where else I can try?

Thanks for the help! I'll be properly joining the club soon :)

welcome matey! I might be able to get you a wing mirror for it. Theres 1 micra left in a scrap yard i know (wilf jays) if its not raining, im gonna go tomorrow as i want some window strips for my car, so ill have a look to see if theres an intact left wing mirror there.

welcome matey! I might be able to get you a wing mirror for it. Theres 1 micra left in a scrap yard i know (wilf jays) if its not raining, im gonna go tomorrow as i want some window strips for my car, so ill have a look to see if theres an intact left wing mirror there.

You have to be an official member to sell on the MSC! I'l let this go if it's an act of good will, not an attempt of making a profit!

I haven't seen many K10s without a passenger mirror before, i think this is the second one i've come across! There's loads of scrappys here which have them in too if RTLKyuubi doesnt have any luck tomorrow.

It was optional on many K10s and wasnt fitted as standard to the very base ones.

ive got a spare mirror in my garage im sure of it but i might have a set of internally adjustable ones for sale later in the week if you'd want them

Thanks for all the offers of wing mirrors :) Does anyone know how they will be fitted?

Yep

You should have a black cover on the inside of your door. This will either unscrew or pull off. Then behind that, you'l have three holes for the mirror to screw into. The best way to tell is to look at your drivers side one. The passenger will be exactly the same :)

welcome to the club mate lovely example of a k10 there and a great color too :)

my first k10 didn't have a passenger mirror when i first got it lol first thing i upgraded :)

It is quite a good example really, it's got a few scuffs on the bumpers and scratches nearby, but there's a story behind it. The old lady who had it before my uncle used to be constantly hitting bins, walls, parked cars, children, when she pulled away. Probably not fit to drive at 80-odd.... also went through three clutches and a gearbox as she always used to start it in 2nd!

I'm going to clean it all up over the next few weeks, don't think I'll add anything other than a wing mirror tho! I've grown to like the little thing, but I think it might get moved on fairly soon to make way for something a bit safer. I hope I can hold onto it tho!

Welcome :)

The easiest way to fit it is to wind the window right down so you can hold it from the outside while you screw it on the inside. You'll realise it's really easy once you've had a look at it. As for the plastic Arnold mentioned, it normally has one screw, and then pulls off. Just be gentle and your well away!! :)

Ah yes the lack of a passenger mirror, on my old K10 this caused me a few issues on the M25 once with people joining to my left and me not being able to see them! Needless to say I got one pretty sharpish!

49k on a K10 is amazing, the engines probably still being worn in! ;)

Welcome to the club :)

James.

welcome :)

Nice example K10! (Y)

Shame about the W/mirror .....i had that problem on the 1.0L LS which was overcome by fitting some adjustable W/mirrors from a 1.2. (Y) Went sraight on. :)

You have to be an official member to sell on the MSC! I'l let this go if it's an act of good will, not an attempt of making a profit!

I haven't seen many K10s without a passenger mirror before, i think this is the second one i've come across! There's loads of scrappys here which have them in too if RTLKyuubi doesnt have any luck tomorrow.

hehe arnold and your right, i like to be kind, Im not gonna make profit on it :blush:

unfortunatly i wasnt able to get to the scrapyard today, but if i can ill go tomorrow.

Thanks! I don't think there's much chance of me going on the M25 anytime soon (living in North Yorkshire) so I'm not in a massive rush to get a mirror, but still want one!

I had a little scare this morning, the old thing refused to start, even when trying a bump start or two (at least this gave my dad some exercise :) ). A neighbour suggested using a hairdryer around the spark plugs and leads, which seems to do the trick as I eventually managed to get to work. Could this be a problem, or is it just the rain? [I've parked it up against the house tonight, with bonnet shielded from rain and wind. Will get round to clearing a space out in the garage soon!]

So far so good! Thanks for all your welcomes!

Alex

i had excatley the same thine on mine i got the dealer 2 put one on mine is excate same colour as yours (excuse the spelling) what mods are you going to do on it

welcome! and nice example :)

I have the original bill of sale for mine, and the passenger mirror (as others have said) was an option B)

I don't think I'm going to do anything to it apart from general maintainence. My mechanical knowledge is appalling, I think I'd have trouble changing a wheel! I do intend to improve on this, so might have a fiddle with one or two things.

The old lady who had it for most of its life had two services a year, doing an average of 1500 miles between each one, so there's nothing really wrong apart from the scratched bumpers (see first pic) which I'd like to smoothen out. Should I just sandpaper these? Then would the bumper need re-painting / spraying?

It's still quite dirty as has been kept outside for many months. I'll clean everything up if the weather's ok tomorrow night after work.

Second picture there's a bit of rust on the petrol filler cap, what'd be the best way of cleaning that up?

micra05.jpg

micra06.jpg

It would probably be easier to replace the bumper than trying to repair it. Most standard bumpers (facelift) will look like that. Prefacelift will fit, but they're a bit smaller and a different shape.

My car used to have terrible problems starting in the wet. As a result, i replaced all the ignition components for decent ones, nissan leads, NGK plugs. Also check the seal between the dizzy cap and the dizzy itself isn't damaged or loose. If moisture gets in here, that can cause some problems! Take the cap off, wipe it out and spray a little bit of wd40 in there.

I now have magnecor 85mm leads and haven't had any starting problems since, whatever the weather.

aye replace the bumper with another one k10's are ten to the penny down scrapyards and theres always some tidy ones if you look hard enough, with the filler cap once again get down the scrappies and just get another one easy to replace ;)

Well at one point earlier today, I honestly thought the old thing was on the way to the scrapyard itself! Coming up to the top of a hill in rush hour, was hit by torrential rain, resembling a monsoon! The engine cut out and I was freewheeling / aquaplaning all the way down the other side of the hill! Somehow managed to get into a laybay and ditch it in 8 inches of standing water. o_O

Went back to get it just now, dried it up and it started - got it home! Think I'll definately replace those leads, and maybe join the AA! Any good deals going around? Also... what's a dizzy?

Yeah was gonna say Dizzy too based on that description, as mine has done the same!

Thanks for all the advice, everything's now been WD40'd (other lubricants are also available). Hope everything works fine for a while!

P.S. Can I arrange with someone to get a wing mirror soon please? Thanks, Alex.

technically i'm not an official member yet, so i cant sell, buuuuut seeing as i have sent payment for a membership maybe admin will make an exception? :wasntme: lol

OK thanks, I know that a few people said they had ones available...

Today has been a bit interesting, did a few long runs and had many problems with changing gear, sometimes finding a box full of neutral! Had a little search around on here and tampered with the clutch cable. It got better when we adjusted it, but then came home a wreck again.

I'm beginning to wonder why this car was given to me....

if you are after some wing mirrors ive got a set of internally adjustable ones which will fit straight on to yours, i can make up a small guide or even talk you though it as its not hard at all to do

i also have a speedo with a clock inside it if you want one, i can clock it to the same as what your original speedo milaged aswell

Whilst driving to Peterborough does sound interesting given my new found freedom, I might have to pass and take up the postage. I'll just get in touch with my dad who'll be doing the paying :)

paypal preferred safest for both of us, i'll sort out postage next week but it will be recorded delivery no matter what as ive always have sent stuff recorded and never had any problems

or maybe we could meet half way somewhere?

and then i could fit them for you aswell

Does anyone know how much it should cost to get a clutch repaired on a K10, as I don't see me being able to shift the car unless it's driveable.

Cheers in advance!

depends mate if you do it yourself it could be very cheap, you can get a clutch for as little as £30, not a hard job to do at all.

recently put a new clutch on mine which cost me £18 off ebay (£10 postage :p) Very easy to do!

anyway about the wingmirror in my 1st post. The car at wilfjays had no doors :p

well im quite mechanically minded and it would probably take about an hour if I was being quick!

If i was you i would make sure i had a whole day, a haynes manual and a good tool set. Ive recently bought a socket and spanner set from halfrauds for £130, 122 piece set with life time guarantee.

snap on will replace any tool that breaks, no matter how old, free of charge!

Do you still need a door mirror?? i have one in my shed waiting to be posted!

just realised that your selling this! lol

how come your selling after only just having it??

Just to let everyone know, this sold for £70 on eBay. Which went towards the service of the next car. Not a happy ending, but hopefully not the end of Micra's for me... I'll be back!

Back