New intercooler pipe route

Baz

Ex. Club Member
The Piping is about a metre shorter and has alot less lag

DSC00022-2.jpg

That looks better.

Its one thing that bugs me about these cars is there is no neat way to do that route. I am even considering chopping the side off my inlet manifold and swapping it to the other side just to get it shorter.

That looks better.

Its one thing that bugs me about these cars is there is no neat way to do that route. I am even considering chopping the side off my inlet manifold and swapping it to the other side just to get it shorter.

I know but I garantee it works great this way

That looks better.

agreed! especially if you've got aircon, unless you get a fmic that has inlet and outlet on the same side but then you've got air doing a 180 degree turn inside the core which would be horrible for flow

i doubt i'll be able to fit one in the nose without losing aircon (not fun on 35degree days!)

nice work baz! what size piping di you use for that? did you get it mandrel bent to the size you wanted then used silicone for the joins?

You'll just have to wait and see how I do mine, lets say tho its going to bring the ST upto date however. Bye bye piles of vacuum lines etc...

piles of vacuum lines is what set the ST apart :D

i hope one day i've got some info up my sleeve i can tease you with Ed!!! :D

lol, If only you knew :) :)

You can't say things like that Ed,come on have a heart ha ha

@smidge I just bought a load of 2" piping off ebay and cut it to size and joined the rest with silcone hoses,got a good few boost leaks and hoses flying off the first week or so but its all sorted now

yeah nice one, you used aluminium or stainless? guess it doesn't make a heap of difference eh except weight?

good summer project for me as i'd rather the thing wasn't getting to hot under the collar on the inevitable hot days we'll have this summer

fortunately i've got my cooling system sorted out but i think i'll install a seerate water temp gauge for peace of mind

yeah nice one, you used aluminium or stainless? guess it doesn't make a heap of difference eh except weight?

good summer project for me as i'd rather the thing wasn't getting to hot under the collar on the inevitable hot days we'll have this summer

fortunately i've got my cooling system sorted out but i think i'll install a seerate water temp gauge for peace of mind

Yes the factory water temp gauge can be misleading at the best of times.

Oh the ic makes a big difference car runs alot cooler and made 20ish bhp more at the same boost(1bar) with the standard top mount ic and 30hp more at 1.2bar

FMIC is one of the best things you can do for the ST. I should have done it AGES ago.

yeah bring it on! I assume 2" piping will be enough, i'll get my hands on some pipe and custom it see if i can get around the aircon...

2" pipe is perfect as it will reduce overall lag with extra pipe run!

To be honest I done mine on a budget I think Around 500Euros for the intercooler,aluminium piping and silicone bends,joints and clamps but the results were great.

I'm sure if I got all custom stainless steel pipework,tig welded bends and minimal joints it would look and perform alot better I'm happy enough with it at the moment.

I'm sure Ed you will put me to shame with the ma12ert and meticulous welded pipework!

Its a loooonnnnnnnng way off yet Baz, at least yours is running!!!

Its a loooonnnnnnnng way off yet Baz, at least yours is running!!!

Yes but yours will be a masterpiece not only yo move but under the bonnet aswell!

Off topic; Got all my parts from Yosi today got a few little things that were not in the photos!

who's Yosi?? ya parts man in japland??

already got the core, roughly same size as yours from what i can tell, cost next to nothing as we did some filming for the company. might hit them up for a good deal piping hopefully do the lot for about $300au

getting around the aircon tho, might be a show stopper, we'll see!

Yosi is a chap I deal with a lot. I got my car from him in 2000. :) Very nice guy too.

yo guys this all sounds awesome! i'm thinking of sorting my st out with a fmic. this is probably a stupid questiono_O , just wondering what fmic you've got for it (size and fitment) if i got one for a pulsar will i be able to make it fit rather eazy?

jeffers i got a smallish core from justjap.com

i'll take some pics and measurements of mine when i put it in to share around, if you don't have aircon you could probly do it in less than a day!

The front bumper has to be cut or completely removed to fit a large enough Ic and to allow for a thick core mines 70mm.
The grill on my car actually sits on the intercooler when the bumpers removed

thanks. i probably will take the air con off cause dont really need it, the weathers pants. i dont ever use it anyway so its just unneeded weight. yeah pictures and measurements would be great.
thanks alot guys

hey barry did you happen to snap any more pics of your setup? where the pipes go at the front etc?

i'm a bit boxed in by the aircon condensor.. although i reckon it wouldn't be a big deal to put a smaller more modern condensor with a small fan then i could fit everything

also what did you use to make the holes in the metal of the engine bay??

hey barry did you happen to snap any more pics of your setup? where the pipes go at the front etc?

i'm a bit boxed in by the aircon condensor.. although i reckon it wouldn't be a big deal to put a smaller more modern condensor with a small fan then i could fit everything

also what did you use to make the holes in the metal of the engine bay??

I'll have a look now see if I have any mate,
I used a metal hole saw bit to cut a hole in the inner passenger arch just to one side of the chassis leg!!

DSC00019.jpg

Image005.jpg

Image008.jpg

Mockupofic.jpg

This is what the old setup looked like just finished
Image009.jpg

thanks barry that helps! got my piping and holesaw to take car of the locations, going to have a decent crack at it this weekend... it was a bit of a struggle to get the grille off i tell ya! (having never taken this one off before) gettingthe angle of the bonnet right etc so it would come off properly

the core i've got is slightly thinner and smaller than yours so its going up closer to the fog light support which i may have to cut a little to fit it up there snug with my aircon core

the aircons gonna make my piping a bit longer but on a 40 degree sydney day the FMIC is good peace of mind

Back