New car 1.3 SR! maybe

JayY

Owner of The Black Beauty
ive found a car that im very intrested in. Can some please tell me what i should be looking out for? Thing specfic to a micra and generally. Thanks :)

4 wheels, engine, hopefully some doors, and must be blue, lol.....

Just look mainly for rust on the arches and under the sills and noisy timing chain, they are the main problems....

its a 1995 apprently, didnt thing they done SR's till 1996 fwn
it has 71000. neil, yeah i thought the tining chain is the main thing, and its black.......... ;) (would prefer the blue though!!)

you need wheels on a micra? damn thats where ive gone wrong...
make sure they have a service history to go with it
atleast thats what i was told *shrug*
MOT and tax dates?
black is good

Same as Neil really, check the arches for rust and also give the timing chain a listen. Any body work damage or that?
:kungfu:

you could always roll on the brake disks?

chech the TB is ok and that it idles proply and the door handles arn't cracked.

check the fan controller board for corrosion.

make sure it has all four wheels and make sure your not buying a corsa by mistake :laugh:

i remember you asking the exact same question when you got your old blue SR Jay :D

CHECK THE FRONT CROSS MEMBER

cant believe all u k11 people never suggested this. eesh

then sills arches chain under the engine for drips (oil etc)

check the gear change. take for test drive if poss.

check hubs etc by shaking he wheels .. general wear and tear mainly

LOL!

"lady owner"

can just imagine her doing 100 down the road in her 1.3 for her cat food and doileys... alloys going crayzay!

just me?

ok...

RE: RE: New car 1.3 SR! maybe

Layla said:
maybe it has a special secret passage way from say, the bumper to the passenger seat?

hehe yea,

the two front doors, the boot, the petrol cap, bonnet, and a secret passage :) hehe

or you could roll in a bucket of vaseline and force yourself up the exhaust...
the possibilities are endless

Layla said:
or you could roll in a bucket of vaseline and force yourself up the exhaust...
the possibilities are endless

ROTFL ahahaha yea,

you'd see it drive by with 6 vaseline soaked people in it looking very misrable hehe:laugh:

although, if they are vaseliney... you could get more in and have an entire small country in there!obviously you'd have people poking their feet out of the 6 doors...

back on topic

looks like a good car to me, but im a girl, im only going on the fact that its pretty :p

she might have liked the sound of 8000 revs in first gear :)

its all good vibrations if you know what i mean :p

lol yeah with a bit of luck!
looks like a good car, bit expensive for me to go for, but thats a dif story.
bit of a distance for you too!
happy buying :D

got family near by so prob just stat there for the night, im willing to travel for a good car!

i hate driving my mother's car after my K11. its all huge and has a fat arse and OOBER PAsteering. so like i sneeze on the wheel and fly over to the left :(

blown gasket. but its easier to put the family in mothers car than it is putting it in mine. gotta fold the little sister up and shove her in the glove compartment if we're going somewhere in the K11.

RE: RE: RE: New car 1.3 SR! maybe

Layla said:
NeX said:
its all good vibrations if you know what i mean :p

what with vaselined people and now good vibrations... dirty boy

hehe i haven't said anything dirty yet :) it's all in your head :laugh: ...... dirty girl :)

question: why would your vibrations be in my head? surely thats the WRONG place for them...

i'll be quiet *innocent*

Layla said:
question: why would your vibrations be in my head? surely thats the WRONG place for them...

i'll be quiet *innocent*

hahaha you make me laugh girl :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: see :)

depends on what's in your head at the time hehe but your right i'll be quiet too *totaly innocent*

i'd go into vibrations and vaseline and dirty thoughts with you but a) it has nothing to do with cars (unless you do it in the back of a micra.. but ian is 6ft and it doesnt work) and b) im taken *flashes chastity belt and iron underwear*

haha fair enough :)

tip: micras have reclining front seats very useful..
*again totally innocent*

hehehe i wont tell you about the gearstick in 4th at 4000 rpm then :upside:

Layla said:
hey if thats what you wanna do then go for it... but darling... think of the piles ;)

hehe
?????? i was just going to say that the throttle resonse is quite poor that's all, why what were you thinking fwn

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

ahh of course... good advice.

i'm glad we're on the same level :laugh::laugh:

LMAO!!!

yea but i have an excuse...........

i'm a bloke. with a one track mind :p

yep :)

BTW it's a bloke thing ;)

SR or super s which is better ?? what is the difference ?

Attachments

• wide-arch(web).jpg
    wide-arch(web).jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 197
:laugh: yea OK,

anything else?

i saw one from the front in hellfrauds car park and thought it was a super s till i got round the back.

SR? hmmm they must have taken the super s sticker off and replaced it with this SR one ? *curious*fwn

BTW i'd never heard of an SR before that.....

:) yea

they sold me a can of paint in my car colour that exploaded in my face and a sub for £100 that they dropped to £49 the next day.....

and £40 to install someones new HU !! i'll do it for £35 ;)

well the whole micra range was updated in 1996, the Super S was re-named SR. The diffrentces are :

Alloys as standard
Better interior (dodgey colours in the SR though)
Green dials
Airbag standard
few other bits, cant remember now actually....

yea i noticed the green dials..

went well with the car......it was green :p

oh yeah,

Diffrent Suspension (i think all of them after 1996 where)
High mounted stop lamp
Winscreen with shade band
tilt steering
electric windows as standard
side impact bars
collasable steering wheel column
2tweers in front
0.5 sec slower 0-60

The basics of buying a new car are:

Don't rush into anything.
Never trust the seller (especially if they're a dealer)
Get a HPi check
If you're really worried, get an AA Inspection
Inspect ALL the paperwork
Make sure the numbers match
Looks for signs of clocking (check the mileages on MOTs/service records etc tally-up, looks for signs of wear, i.e. worn seats/pedals, shiny steering wheels, etc, etc)
See it when the cars cold, not warmed-up
Test drive it (make sure you're covered re. insurance)

Then if your still interested then look at:

One main thing to check for is if you take off the oil filler cap and you can see a cremy off white substance this will tell you the head gasket is leaking/knackered! (applys with most cars)
But then again it could also be a build-up of condensation from short runs, which is nothing. If you do find the signs of a blown head gasket, it might be better to walk away as if it is gone it will be expensive to fix.

Check for rust around the sills and the crossmembers as they are expensive to fix. Also check under the car for any damage or holes in the exhaust.

Other simple things to look at are:
- does the clutch slip
- is the oil clean
- do the brake pads have life in them
- do the discs have a lip on them
- are the discs warped or have grooves in them
- is the tread wear even on the tyres

The last thing to check is to see if the car is straight. Look for creases in the chasis as it might have been in a accident. To check the body panels, stand level with the car but at least 2-3 feet away from the front and the rear and look for ripples, lumps/dips as they show the car has been hit and there is filler on the car.

To check clutch slip there are two ways that i know
1) on the test drive go up a steep(ish) hill if you need more revs than actually needed to get the car up the hill then its starting to slip.
2) When stationary with the hand brake on put the car into fourth gear, start to slowly take your foot off the clutch if the car starts cutting out when the clutch plates start to meet then the clutch is fine. If the car doesn't cut out then you know the clutch has gone.

If this is the case i would say walk away as the car might have been treated badly. Usually if a clutch is slipping (on low powered cars anyway) the brakes are in a state as well.

Mike

Back