New Airbag ECU - any ideas how to replace it?

So I've had an ongoing problem with our 2004 Micra airbag light coming on. I've had to take it to a Nissan garage who have diagnosed the Airbag ECU and are quoting £700 to repair.

Ouch.

I've had a look online and see the Airbag ECU is a fairly small part and it's located somewhere near the handbrake. How difficult would it be to fit myself? If it's possible, where could I find out how to do it? I've seen the part on eBay and some parts suppliers for less than £90.

Edit: Anyone with a K12 Haynes know if it will show how to replace the Airbag ECU? If it does I'll pick up one of those!

i know its right beneath the center console between the shifter and e-brake assembly just go unto youtube and see if there is some sort of precautionary measures you have to take should be just fine best of luck to you... keep us all posted

Thanks! I managed to get hold of a service manual so it looks like a pretty easy job.

Still trying to source an Airbag ECU - the car has never had a crash - could the ECU be reset rahter than replaced? The ECU I'm looking for has a part number of 98820AX525 and finding it is proving almost impossible. Is there a way to find out if an alternative part will work?

It's been a few months but thought I'd post an update...

FIXED! I took it to Nissan who wanted nearly £700 to replace the ECU. I managed to find one on eBay for £40. Found a technical manual online but it dead easy, just 2 screws and some clips to get to the ECU. After eventually getting the T50 security bit (I don't recommend the allen keys unless you're planning to round it off, get a ratchet bit) I swapped out the ECU and it's all working fine :)

Hi,
I know this thread is very old, but I've got a very similar problem with my ECU. Can't find a match on eBay at the moment (mines an AX51A rather than AX525). Just wondering if you found an exact match for the ECU number or a very similar module that worked?

I imagine the AX number is a firmware code, so might not be critical...

Thanks

Ryan

Back