VERY weird noise - any ideas?!

Guy

Has gone over to the oily side...
Club Member
Got another fault with my car fwn. Just lately it's felt a bit down in power when I accelerate. As the throttle opens, a loud noise that sounds like a spinning mop flapping against a pipe comes from the exhaust and it feels short of power. If I back off the throttle, the noise stops and the power surges back.

Also, I've noticed a distinctly weird smell in the car, especially when it's cold - it smells like a mix of benylin and a sort of petrolly burning smell.

It could be the fibre glass escaping inside the exhaust (it's a custom stainless) but I've shone a torch up it's bum with a mate revving the engine and all looks normal.

Any ideas :down: ?

Certainly sounds like the lining coming loose from a silencer or more likely the cat. My Primera made all kinds of weird floppy clangy nasty noises when the cat started to fail, followed by a failure to go past 2,000rpm when it finally collapsed inside itself.

Good point that chaps. It was misfiring for 5,500 miles with the duff injector so it's probably ingested alot of unburnt fuel grr.

Back