How to reset the Airbag light

Vitus992

Ex. Club Member
I did post these instructions at the end of a thread about removing an SRS steering wheel but though I would create a separate thread.
Once I had removed the steering wheel and reassembled, I think because I drove the car with the airbag disconnected the airbag warning light would not go off once reassembled. I found these instructions actually worked:

if you have the airbag light, it will show steady for a few seconds (the manual says 7 secs) after you turn the key from off to on (but not start) and then start to flash. Here is how to reset it:

1. Turn the key from off to on.

2. Watch the airbag light closely. It will stay on for a few secs. and then as soon as it blinks off (the start of the flashing), turn the key off instantly.

3. Count to 5 (1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi . . . .)

4. Repeat steps 1-3 two more times until you have done the cycle three times.

5. Now turn the key on and watch the light. It will start blinking in a different, slower manner. This is diagnostic mode. You can watch this for a little while, no hurry.

6. Now turn the key off again, Count to 5 like in step 3 again, and turn back on. If the procedure worked, the airbag light will not be flashing.

If it does not work the first time, just repeat the steps again.

I did post these instructions at the end of a thread about removing an SRS steering wheel but though I would create a separate thread.
Once I had removed the steering wheel and reassembled, I think because I drove the car with the airbag disconnected the airbag warning light would not go off once reassembled. I found these instructions actually worked:

if you have the airbag light, it will show steady for a few seconds (the manual says 7 secs) after you turn the key from off to on (but not start) and then start to flash. Here is how to reset it:

1. Turn the key from off to on.

2. Watch the airbag light closely. It will stay on for a few secs. and then as soon as it blinks off (the start of the flashing), turn the key off instantly.

3. Count to 5 (1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi . . . .)

4. Repeat steps 1-3 two more times until you have done the cycle three times.

5. Now turn the key on and watch the light. It will start blinking in a different, slower manner. This is diagnostic mode. You can watch this for a little while, no hurry.

6. Now turn the key off again, Count to 5 like in step 3 again, and turn back on. If the procedure worked, the airbag light will not be flashing.

If it does not work the first time, just repeat the steps again.
Thanks for your help it helped me out thanks alot and it worked for me

I know this is a very old thread but I'm hoping someone has an answer to my problem. I have a x reg 1.4l micra that trips the airbag light (and some times engine light) about once every 4 or 5 months. Diagnostic reads "P0171 System to oleander Bank1". Never been able to trace that fault but ignition trick clears the flashing light. The airbag light is another story... no matter how many time I try it will not reset. It goes into diagnostics mode but light will not reset. Instead it switches from fast flashing light to 1 slow followed by 8 fast flashes and repeats this cycle. A lot of online 'fixes' point to a loose cable connection under the driver or passenger seat... I cannot find any wires under the seats! Any ideas on how to fix this problem is very much appreciated.

I know this is a very old thread but I'm hoping someone has an answer to my problem. I have a x reg 1.4l micra that trips the airbag light (and some times engine light) about once every 4 or 5 months. Diagnostic reads "P0171 System to oleander Bank1". Never been able to trace that fault but ignition trick clears the flashing light. The airbag light is another story... no matter how many time I try it will not reset. It goes into diagnostics mode but light will not reset. Instead it switches from fast flashing light to 1 slow followed by 8 fast flashes and repeats this cycle. A lot of online 'fixes' point to a loose cable connection under the driver or passenger seat... I cannot find any wires under the seats! Any ideas on how to fix this problem is very much appreciated.
P0171 is a bad maf 9/10 times. Very unlikely a bad lambda or a cracked exhaust manifold. The cracked manifold mainly triggers p0420 cat efficiency below treshold. The airbag fault code 8 is passenger side airbag fault. Do you have the optional passenger side airbag in the dash?

Ok thanks, will swap out the MAF and see if that will fix it.
Yes I do have a passenger side airbag, do you think it's a wiring issue?

Can be a wiring issue. Or a airbag issue. Or a bad airbag ecu. Id start with disconnecting the battery and cleaning the passenger side airbag connector.

Sounds logical,,, I'll do that as soon as I deal with the shredded screws on the MAF from the last guy who tried to open with incorrect bit !!

Thank you .Maarten! Wriggling the passenger air bag connector did the trick. The warning light went out and hopefully will stay that way 🙏 .

On another note does anyone know where I can get replacement screws for the MAF sensor? Nissan no longer provides this item (#160651F700) and none of the usual car parts outlets seem to stock compatible replacement screws.

Back