need Micra 1995 clutch cable

CMF_ViV

» CMF Member
Hi all,

First of all, I'm not very familiar with car parts and repairs, so please no jargon.

On my Nissan Micra 1995, the plastic/rubber grommet on the clutch cable is broken (A - the one that goes into a metal bracket, near the battery). That means I need a new cable? Can't just power glue it or something??

I have tried to look under the dashboard, I can feel that the cable hooks to behind the pedal (B), but not clear enough how. I tried to push the hook up, but wouldn't slide out. So I need to undo the screws/nuts at the front end (C) first?

From what I've read in other threads and forums, this is supposed to be an easy job. It does look very straightforward, but do you need to be strong to do it (I'm a girl)? Is it easy to determine where to lock the screws/nuts (C)?

And is there anyone here has a cable for sale? I'm in Perth, Western Australia, in the Swan area.

Thanks heaps!

Attachments

• 75878.jpg
    75878.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 40

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
my 10mm nut and thumbwheel is adjusted so that i can unhook the g/box end of the cable with a small amount of force viv, but you may need to slacken yours off a bit.
once that end is unhooked you have anough slack to flick the pedal end off the hook (then just pull the cable out eh)

CMF_ViV

» CMF Member
thank you for replying, frank2. managed to get the cable off. had to get housemate's help with unscrewing the 10mm nut (C), because the thumbwheel kept turning with the nut. didn't know that the gearbox end of the cable also hooks up just like the pedal end.

it was easy!!! B-)

now is the hunt for a new clutch cable. anybody can help me out with this please? thanks so much!

Attachments

• 75893.jpg
    75893.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 39

CMF_penpusher

» CMF Member
Another novice question :

Once the cable has been placed in position how do you ensure it is adjusted correctly ?

I have also seen that people are asking to buy clucth cables off members on this site. Why is this necessary. Aren't they still available through dealerships or are they outrageously expensive from the dealership ?

CMF_ViV

» CMF Member
i'm not sure if there's a specific way to measure the cable, i just pulled the gearbox end all the way. a bit difficult to do, because it's bendy. it gave me 99.1 centimeters (without the hook thingy at gearbox end - as in picture).

Attachments

• 75914.jpg
    75914.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 31

CMF_RTK

» CMF Member
Only difference between the N13 and micra one is that metal bit where the cable connects to the pedal. I have checked this, due to having 2cables at work when I had my pulsar

CMF_ViV

» CMF Member
found this ebay listing that says compatible with N13 pulsar, but also says "Images are for general illustration purposes only, and may no picture the exact parts of this listing." http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CC201-Cl...=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4163b7bc34.

it looks very similar to my old cable, after i took of the rainclip (?) off the firewall/pedal end, and put on the hook thingy at the gearbox end.

how does the metal bit different, RTK? here's pic of mine. will it still fit?

also, where do i look to find out whether mine's 1L or 1.3L?

Attachments

• 75919.jpg
    75919.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 33

CMF_ViV

» CMF Member
i didn't know i was supposed to take that bit off and leave the hook at the other end on ;-) (didn't know which parts belong to the cable and which belong to the car). i realized that it's removable when i found that ebay listing.

so now the cable looks like this, with gearbox end locked at about halfway..

so that means i can use N13 pulsar's?

Attachments

• 75922.jpg
    75922.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 30

CMF_RTK

» CMF Member
I measured the N13 pulsar one and it's 110mm, so from what I can tell your cable isnt completely straight

CMF_ViV

» CMF Member
hmm yea,.. but the "piggy head" hook (gearbox end) makes a difference. at the moment i have the adjustable part locked halfway. but i could loosen it up, hence the cable would be "longer".

i'm just thinking you'd probably measure it with the piggy head off, hence there's no confusion?

CMF_ViV

» CMF Member
this is the listing on First Line's catalogues. even with my cable not completely straight, with the nut locked about halfway, it's over 100cm. but the 103cm one on the list is for micra 1998-2000. so........

Attachments

• 75928.jpg
    75928.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 31

CMF_RTK

» CMF Member
I have 2 each with different heads but one has the same as my micra, I'll measure it up tomorrow and I'll post up my length

CMF_ViV

» CMF Member
an update:

this is for motorcycle http://www.magnumshielding.com/store/clutch_cable.php, but it shows that cable length does not include travel part nor hooks or stoppers.

spoke to Pat from Nissan, Wangara. he said not 100% sure, but said the same thing. just the cable.

but it doesn't really matter now, because they have it in stock, so i can just bring my old cable along.

$173.20 for it. about $50 from UK http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nissan-M...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cbfed8a4a.

thanks for all your help, guys!

CMF_ViV

» CMF Member
hi penpusher,

this is an example of how to adjust the cable (gearbox end) http://www.allcorsa.co.uk/forums/sh....html?s=38eb5acdeb923d017fa73cd010a8c338& (you can find many articles about this on google)

also my dad told me on the phone:
- install and place the adjusting nut where it used to be like on the old cable (old cable and new cable should be identical, therefore everything should be the same?).
- press pedal 20 times.
- turn engine on and try to put it in gear.
- if it's difficult or won't go in, turn engine off and readjust.
- test drive. if you only need to let go the pedal a little bit for it to go, it means the cable is too loose (clutch disengaged when you press the pedal).
- adjust until you're happy with the height.

sounds pretty easy in theory. i'm getting my cable tomorrow afternoon and we'll see how i go with it! B-)

CMF_RTK

» CMF Member
Okay it's 105mm for that cable without the extra bit on it, cause it was already half on when I measured it

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
it wont matter if the cable assy is longer viv, but the inner has to be the right length for the outer tho (iirc one member had to adjust the nut fully down but still could,nt get the pedal right)
and you just need to adjust it so that the bite point is where you want it, i prefer the bite about 1/3 rd of the way up personally (which means i can just about unhook the g/box end without slackening the nut off)

CMF_ViV

» CMF Member
right.. ok gets complicated if it's a different part. and i can understand the convenience of unhooking the gearbox end without loosening the nut off. thanks lots, Frank!

CMF_ViV

» CMF Member
took me 1 1/2 hours (was taking my time!) but got it installed, adjusted, and tested around the block (up to 4th gear)!

the difficult part i found was getting the pedal end to get through the firewall. the cable was stiff and didn't want to bend very much! hooking the pedal end was easy, i reached from the left side of the pedal, and just had to squat next to the car (didn't have to lie on the floor).

got a little grease off the dealer for free too. he went o_O when i told him i was going to do it myself haha.

all good. thanks all for your help and comments! cheers!

Back