My problem with modern cars

I'm looking at getting another Micra! This time though I'd like a more modern one (k11c)

....However. These came with power steering as standard which I've always hated since it desensitizes me to what the tyres are doing on the road.

What is the power steering like on the k11c and is it easy to depower?

:(

Not sure if this is the case with K11s but on my 54' plate Vectra I could disable the power steering by pulling the fuse. Could be an easy fix (or break, I'm not really sure which term to use haha) if this is the case. If the power steering pump doesn't work, then neither does the power steering!

I agree that light cars like the K11 feel far better without PAS, however I can definitely see where it has its advantages. I wouldn't put PAS on mine even if someone offered to do it for free though :p

I have had both on a Micra and massively prefer to have power steering than not. It's just so much easier and nicer to drive

Exercise with no power steering, no central locking, no bidet and keep fit windup windows on my Micra shape, saves trips to the gym for a workout!

The outstanding bonus is less is more. There's less to go wrong, there's nothing in there that you don't need for everyday motoring runabout fun.

Put petrol in the tank, yourself in the front seat and enjoy every day out and about in it. That's what it was built for.

Enjoy the day!

Last edited:
Removing it properly is definitely the best option. Tyre and rim size also makes a massive difference to how heavy it feels. My girlfriends K11 which is on standard 13" alloys is way easier to turn when stationary without PAS than my K11 which has 15" wheels with slightly stretched low profile tyres. When I swap between them it almost feels like hers has power steering compared to mine :p.

A non PAS rack shouldn't cost much, you might even be able to sell the PAS stuff and make some extra money to spend on upgrades ;)

Just looked at the thread and learned it can be depowered by modifying the rack, might be less complicated to actually just fit a non PAS rack and remove the pump etc. I've not done either of these though so don't take my word for it :rolleyes:

Sounds like you speak from experience r-reg-sr. I'll watch out!

I'd like to keep the p/s rack because its fewer turns lock to lock otherwise yeah, I'd go manual :)

I'm just curious as to whether I'll get the 'slop' when changing direction that the mx5 ones in the above links speak of when I depower it.

I'll add another problem with modern cars - way too many buttons and lights on the dashboard and indicator stalks. I don't want radio volume control on a big paddle type thing below my indicator stalks. I sat in my dad's Fiesta and it just feels so ****ing cramped in there. Micras are lovely and spacious and clutter-free. :)

I'll go for another problem - they all feel so drab and dreary. I drove a diesel mini, the new one, and it felt like I wasn't doing anything! I thought the micra wasn't that fun to drive after my old 205, but actually, it is compared to anything more modern.

I've said it many times everyone should give driving an old car a go ( mini is my choice) its not until you have done that don't realize how desensitized you become in a modern car - brake servo, pas etc etc

Last edited:
Old cars are ok and have their merits depending on how they're setup but I'm very happy with my 2013 Merc C220.

No power steering was fine when you had 135 tyres, like my panda and uno but then everyone wanted big fat things, our first 405 had no power steering, you had to do an arm warm up before trying to park in the multi story. Sons old micra was unassisted and it was OK, but much prefer this one with power steering, just makes it easier. What I don't like is electric power steering, everything feels dead and they do go wrong, big time :mad:

Back