My New K11 but requires attention to the crossmember- Help

Hi
I have recently purchased a K11 version of the micra (1999 T Reg) & i have to say i am rather impressed with this little runner. It needed servicing so immediately i replaced the following.
Engine Oil
Oil Filter
Air filter
Spark plugs

There are few other bits which are bothering me. i had a look underneath & rather disappointed to see the bottem under panel which i assume is called cross member is getting eaten up by rust. The rust is mainly along the bottom/under panel. It looks quite bad as in one place the rust has got through & now i have a nice liitle hole size of a golf ball. The metal around it is getting eaten up too so i was wondering what are my options. I have noticed there is a tutorial available on the crossmemebr but as im a new member i cant access. what do i need to do to access it? what other options are there? can it be welded?

Other than that i am loving the car. Thank you folks for helping out this newbie.

a question with a question?
i would start by slowly striping the front off remembering(writing on a masking tape)what everything is and goes

Thank you all for the replies.
I am not handy with a welder but probably i could get the welding done by asking around few local places. :suspect:
I prefer to get it done by summer as its mot is due around sept. I dont want it to fail as it a nice little car. It Drives superb locally & on motorways.
Would this kind of body work be a hinderence to MOT?

Thank you all for the replies.
I am not handy with a welder but probably i could get the welding done by asking around few local places. :suspect:
I prefer to get it done by summer as its mot is due around sept. I dont want it to fail as it a nice little car. It Drives superb locally & on motorways.
Would this kind of body work be a hinderence to MOT?

If the cross member is badly corroded, it may fail an MOT

My Friends car failed the mot from corrosion, We rubbed it down, sanded it nice and smooth, then painted it.

Not sure about the hole though.

My V reg has a rusting crossmember, so much so that the fixing point in the front middle that holds the bonnet catch bracket on has come apart. I had an MOT 2 weeks ago and it passed, with an advisory of a corroded crossmember.

There is a guide on the site on how to replace the crossmember but I think you need to be a member to view it (which I now am :grinning:). However, with angle-grinding and welding it's beyond what I've done before, and I have asked if anyone knows a good garage in Kent who have experience of replacing Micra crossmembers but as yet no-one has suggested anyone.

Where is the guide to replace the cross member? Hope I don't look thick but I can't find it anywhere, mines got a hole in it ya see, don't know whether to weld it or replace, thanks paul

Back