My new engine's going in tommorow.

Elliot

Ex. Club Member
Hi guys,

I've just found and purchased my 1.2 MA12 engine for my K10. It only has 51000 miles on the clock, and comes with a 5-speed box. :D

They only dropped it off at 6 o'clock tonight, so I haven't had much time to check it over. As far as I can tell though, it is in exceptional condition. It has got new NGK R plugs in, a new Alternator belt, Fresh oil and filter... and basically the engine is in fantastic condition. :D

I'm fitting it myself tommorow morning. I was going to fit it at home, but can't be arsed working on my back on the floor... so have booked a day off work and am using a ramp tommorow morning. It should only take me a couple of hours to fit, so I should have it in by dinner time. :)

I'll post up here when it's in, and regarding any difference in performance... as my old MA10 is a standard 50BHP one with 4-speed box, where-as the new MA12 is 60BHP with a 5-speed box and more torque. :)

-Elliot

Thanks guys, I'm looking forward to it. :)

Once it's in, I'm going to be getting all my back windows professionally tinted, and a private reg. Then I will start on some engine work, ie: Custom made induction kit with possible air feed through a ST style bonnet vent. ;) Then I will go for the custom made manifolds, as one of my friends works for a metal fabricator. :D

I'll post back up here tommorow.

-Elliot

Hey elliot, your gona notice a big difference in the way the car performs! It really is much more fun to drive!

Would you keep me informed about the manifolds? I might be interested in a 4-2-1 manifold if its at the right price!
Thanks!
Mono

Hi guys,

I've now got it fitted. :D I didn't get it fitted in the morning though, as there were a few complications... so it took me a couple of more hours. Basically, I had to rewire the connectors... as they were different. I also had to swap my old dissy over. :)

I'm very pleased with the results too! The car is quite a little performer, and should see off a fair few cars no problem. :)

Engine and box were a piece of piss to fit. I've fitted harder engines on Navara's, Primera's etc...

Just a question though, how much abuse can these engine's take? I've heared that they are very strong engines.

Regards
-Elliot

Elliot said:
Just a question though, how much abuse can these engine's take? I've heared that they are very strong engines.

No more strong than any other engine really. They sound awful when over revved (as well as the utter lack of power up that high). The ways they fail seem to vary... piston rings seems to be what go on high mileage, however you treat them. Thrashing them seems to cause head gasket problems. Throwing con rods isn't unheard of either. Timing belt won't go as long as it isn't covered in oil and you change it at the right times.

My honest opinion on these as I have gained from the MSC the last 6 years is your much more likely to have probs with a 1.2 as you would with a 1.0.

My last 1.0 did take quite a bit of abuse to get it to 30, as it was too slow to accelorate gently.

This new MA12 I've fitted isn't going to be thrashed at all. I've allready got a list of things to do on it, ie: Oil and filter, Ignition timing, Idle speed, tappets, cleaning the carb, and I'll start to run it on Shell optimax. :) The engine is allready running like a dream, as it has been looked after. When I got the new engine, it allready had a new alternator belt, newish oil and filter, new plug leads, and maybe some new plugs.

The guys at the scrap yard said that when the chap brought the car in which it was out of, they told him it was too good to break. :D

-Elliot

the 1.2 aren't very strong. Theres certainly no point in going past 5k, as theres no power up there and its very wheezy. The headgaskets apear to go, though i dont know why. Also, the main bearings are prone to knocking if the engine's thrashed. If the engine doesn't burn oil, then its unlikely that it will do when its ben thrashed for a bit, but if it does burn oil in the first place - forget it.

As for the mileage - it means nothing. I've seen one with 32k on the clock smoking.

Also, why did you HAVE to change the distributer? the points one would have worked perfectly.

Also, what conectors did you have to rewire? The only one that i can think is different is the reverse light switch. Did you keep the 1.0 carb or 1.2 carb? if you had the 1.2 carb theres also the idle speed control and anti dieseling solenoid plug to wire in.

Also, small fact. MA12's run better with an MA10 carb on.

Hi Howard,

The engine doesn't seem to be burning oil to be honest. The distributor that is on it now, is points and condensors. The other dissy was electric.

I had to rewire EVERY connector. Nothing would fit. The one on the alternator was bigger than my connector on the loom. I couldn't swap my old alternator on, as one was a v-belt, and the other had the grooves. I then tried swapping the pullys on the alternators, and that wouldn't work. Then I tried swapping the crankshaft pully over, and the 1.2 pully is much larger than the MA10's.

I kept my 1.2 carb. I did have to rewire it aswell, but it's all functioning correctly.

-Elliot

Back