my micra might be dead....

boyracergt

Ex. Club Member
bit down at the moment as after putting a replacement low mileage engine and gearbox, lowered and uprated suspension and buying various other bits for the ten seems mother nature isnt happy :( took it for an mot today and its was the first time its been on the road since January when the cambelt snapped drives great seemed very smooth. but unfortunately it failed the mot on rust on drivers side sill and inner arch. i know the guy that did the mot and he's a decent guy and he mentioned a soft spot before for k10s but it seems the rust is very severe. its eaten most of the rear sill and inner arch so much so you can put your hand inside the sill from the arch. he said he could do a quote but due to the difficulty of the work and the fact replacement panels are pretty much non exsistent it would be a couple of hundered. im going to get other quotes but at the moment it might be a case of breaking ,scraping and moving on :(:(:(:(

well for one micras are chains so i dont see them snapping very often but not impossible!
and im sure if you go scrap yard you can chop some of that car off or hunt for some cheap panels i know some company which may be able to do it cheap!
but if you can get to kingston i can get it sorted through work not too bad as we dont charge too much....

if worst comes to worst buy a decent scrapper with a dead engine and swap it all over etc

hope it helps

Welding will cost you anything up to £300 if it's done properly....and I mean properly fwn

Sills are quite cheap @ around £24, Body Panels are out there but some are difficult to find.

If it's as bad as you say it is then the cheapest option would be to buy another car for a couple of hundred quid, pinch all the good bits off your car and then either sell the rusty one for spares or scrap.

I always think K10's can be saved but sometimes you've just gotta let them go.

In fact I've always wanted to open a Garage selling just K10's.....is that wrong? :laugh:

eye keep it mate and get it welded (Y) cant be that bad my old toyota corolla needed heavy welding in 12 places around the rear arches one hole was that big when i finished poking and prodding at it i could almost fit my head threw it! i kept the car for ages after i got it welded. it wasn't the best looking job but it was solid and cheap. so yeah i say keep it mate

Shop Around

I had a complete fresh cill fitted to my GS last year, plus part of the floor rebuilt (serious rust damage because the drain holes had been blocked for years). That all cost me £150, the cill was i think £25 which i bought from Magnum Car Panels, i also bought a wing from them a few years before that.
http://www.magnumcarpanels.co.uk/

You need to shop around for a more reasonalble welder because there are too many profeteers out there charging £400 for a £50 job, and certainly when it comes to MOTs you should never trust anyone, even "friends". Because at the end of the day they still have a business to run and that means making as much cash as possible, so keep shopping round for professional welders and not just garages, and you'll find the right price.

And as a last thing, if you do decided that you, for whatever reason, wanna scrap or get rid of your k10. Don't scrap it, or break it, put it up for sale on trader or ebay because there are people out there who can either weld it themselves of know the right people to have it done for peanuts. Plus you get cash in your pocket and the car stays on the roads, a happy ending for all. (Y)

would be a shame to scrap it for a rotten sill, i did both mine on my k10, replaced the whole sill and inner sill and the bit of the inner arch you on about, i fabed the parts out of sheet steel, as i had trouble getting the panels, not a bad job if you have the tools/equipment

garages way overcharge for it tho.

My neighbour who welds is going to look at it later he's said he'll do the welding cheap and he reckons he should be able to find the panels. So hopefully ill have some good news when I finish work. :)

Quick update my neighbours taking it to his garage tomorrow and going to work on it when he's free he's hoping to have it done by xmas eve so should be back on the road just after xmas :) he's doing it for 150 all in much better then the 300+ I was quoted before. The micrap lives on!

Good stuff, and hey; never post that you're thinking of scrapping a micra on here, or they'll send a hit-squad after you :laugh:

Can anyone recommend by PM somewhere in south London that does decent welding? Also looking for a half respray on another car. My current guy let me down with some recent welding; really nasty job.:down:

Welding will cost you anything up to £300 if it's done properly....and I mean properly fwn

Sills are quite cheap @ around £24, Body Panels are out there but some are difficult to find.

If it's as bad as you say it is then the cheapest option would be to buy another car for a couple of hundred quid, pinch all the good bits off your car and then either sell the rusty one for spares or scrap.

I always think K10's can be saved but sometimes you've just gotta let them go.

In fact I've always wanted to open a Garage selling just K10's.....is that wrong? :laugh:

K10's are ace I remember the Monday afternoons when K10's and Bluebirds would be lining up ready to be PDI ed. I think I can still smell underseal now I think of it! then seeing them back for Tappets at 500 miles. Happy days.

If the Cambelt has broken then its bent valves (not the end of the world) if you know what your doing. Cheap way is a second hand head or a £100 cheapo motor from API (if they are still going)

Rust can be sorted , I hate welding

Back