tricky, might be too hard to answer

CMF_cjke7777

» CMF Member
hey everybody

i just did an engine swap on my micra. now the new one is in and purring nicely BUT the drive doesn't seem to be getting to the axles.

a few notes i have made on the problem to help trouble shoot.

- it doesn't make any diff where the clutch is, nothing happens (no friction point?)

- the car can be rolled in or out of gear (not engaging ?)

- turning one axle doesn't move the other axle (i don't know on these sorts of diffs if thats suppose to happen)

- 4th and 5th gear sorta make a low }rumble?{ when selected and u let the clutch out. ( maybe they are -just- grabbing?)

- the plate was pretty worn but was working before i did the swap so i assumed it should work when it goes back in

- oil levels in the tranny wouldn't make a difference would it?

- it was aligned correctly when installed, but can anything go on backwards during installation?

i tried to give a detailed break down as its usually easier to trouble shoot.

i really need it going, it is being sold shortly

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
is there any pressure to push in the clutch? or is it really easy and it goes in out with only the pressure of the return springs?

if so that means you bumped the clutch arm that comes out the gearbox
which in turn flicked teh thrust bearing off the two clips and yeh, you need to pull of the gearbox and reclip the bearing onto the clutch fork.

I think it should spi the other wheel the opposite way, thats got me confused.

Alexm

maybe you put the clutch on backwards and it hasn't slid onto the gearbox input spline? i notice in the diagram when i was changing mine that it had to go on one way, cause teh plined bit on the clutch stuck out more on one side than the other, but i still think it would go over the splines, hmmm.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
If you can put the car in gear while the engine is on and the car will roll by itself - something is not right with the input shaft.

If it drives around quite happily in gear with the engine running but the clutch does nothing - what alex said, the throwout bearing has popped off the fork. When I was assisting GTRHOLIC with his clutch change this was the most annoying enemy. THe lower radiator pipe always pushed the arm just a little too far.

Hope this helped.

Back