My First Micra

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

propus

Hi Guys,
I'm a newbie here so be gentle. I have just purchased my first Micra. It is a 1990 LS which as far as I can tell has a 988cc carb engine? It has done 15K miles from new and has had only 1 owner before myself.

Generaly looks in near mint condition, but I have noticed a knocking noise under breaking at low speed, say normal breaking from 30mph when coming to a junction. I haven't driven the car hard since I bought it last week and I am concerned there may be something major wrong.

Any ideas on what could be causing the knocking noise?

Is there anything I should have changed/replaced on the car like filters timing belt (or is it chain driven?) etc? I figure it may still need some attention because of its age rather than its miles since they are so low.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Sorry if this post is in the wrong place, I was intending on this being like a small introduction as well as asking a few questions.

John

At that low milage it's probably been stood for long periods at a time, so it wont hurt to give it a full service and cam belt change, the knocking noise could be a sticking caliper, it could get better with use, but if it doesn't then I would suggest stripping them, cleaning them and putting new seals in.
And welcome to the club. :)

propus said:
Hi Guys,
I'm a newbie here so be gentle. I have just purchased my first Micra. It is a 1990 LS which as far as I can tell has a 988cc carb engine? It has done 15K miles from new and has had only 1 owner before myself.

Generaly looks in near mint condition, but I have noticed a knocking noise under breaking at low speed, say normal breaking from 30mph when coming to a junction. I haven't driven the car hard since I bought it last week and I am concerned there may be something major wrong.

Any ideas on what could be causing the knocking noise?

Is there anything I should have changed/replaced on the car like filters timing belt (or is it chain driven?) etc? I figure it may still need some attention because of its age rather than its miles since they are so low.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Sorry if this post is in the wrong place, I was intending on this being like a small introduction as well as asking a few questions.

John

welcome to the club mate :)

i like the way you say "my FIRST micra" because once you've tried micra you'll never go back lol,

i think your disks may be warped on loose... don't quote me on that but i think thats what it is. fairly comon problem anyway so i'm sure someone will know ;)

Thanks guys, I was thinking of putting her in for a service just to be safe. I had planned on buying an old banger for a few hundred quid to get me back and forth to work when I stumbled accross 'the beast' as she is now named :) I have found the Micra to be fun to drive. More fun than I had expected anyway! The old woman who bought the car new did around 1000miles a year, back and forth to church and local shop then sold it to me.

I did think about warped disks, they make a slight scraping sound when turning tight corners, but this comes and goes. Apart from that I can find no fault....so far!

I'm not sure if I will be a micra man for ever, but I may just keep this one as a nice little toy for myself because the car is kinda cool in its own kwirky way.

Thanks for the welcome. I will try and get some pictures up soon. She is red with black bumpers, sexy! lol. She is also bog standard even with the old non tape playing stereo! I was thinkin about lowering springs to stop it from tilting so much going round corners, but I am now not to keen on making any mods as she is so original.

ah the knocking is just a micra thing :p

kidding, love them really.

woo you live close(ish) to me, which part of aberdeen? ive spent some time in kemny with my flat mate

I guess it's close(ish) lol. I'm in the north side of aberdeen at the moment, but moving house next month which is why I bought the Micra - a wee run about to get back and forth from work. I have discovered the micra is fun to drive, but takes some getting used too!

I think the knocking sound is coming from the rear driver side wheel.

Anyone know the rough cost of a serive for the K10 micra?

Cheers

cheap if u do it urself lol if u like driving it now try driving a lowered one. u could get away with lowerin it as its not a major mod and can be undone prety easily. does yours have the 12" or 13" wheels?

Pics of my car

rj007 said:
Welcome to the club! Any pics of your car? fwn

I have posted some pics of my Micra in the Image Hosting section. I'm not sure how this works, but can you guys view my pictures from there or do I have to post them in a thread?

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back