I have just bought my first Nissan

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

joerog

Hello there. My name is Joe and I'm 20 years old.

When I was 17, my first car was a VW Polo 1043cc Hatchback. I loved this car and wish I still had it now. I lowered it on springs and shock absorbers, had some wider steel wheels on it, rear strut brace and it was immaculate inside and out. Stupidly I sold it last year. After that I have been through a series of Polos ranging from A reg. through to a J reg. (I love old VW Polos!) :)

Anyway, recently I had an '88 VW Polo Coupe S and loved it. I had the sporty Polo G40 seats in (sort of like bucket seats). It seemed reasonably nippy too and it was a 1.3 carb. model. I bought a weber carb. for it to give it more power but the seller lost the item and I was back to sqare one with the standard, high milage carb. that was giving very poor MPG and reducing the power. A week later it was vandalised and set on fire :(

After feeling very downbeat about this I thought it was time to get a cheap, reliable (maybe even more so than a 1.0 Polo) car that I could drive around in to save up some cash.

I was offered a Nissan Micra by a local garage for 60 quid (only 2 weeks MOT left and 2 months tax) so I went to look at it. It was immaculate inside, a little bit of surface rust outside though but the milage was 46,000 miles and it's had one lady owner since new! So that's 2 owners, including me, in nearly twenty years!

I bought the Micra and we thought we'd book it in for an MOT test as it seemed okay. It passed yesterday! I am delighted.

I have to say that it is a really nice car to drive and I think it's not too nasty on the eye either. At first the indicator stalk being on the other side caught me out but the way the full beam and flashing system works is handy.

I have a few questions if someone would be so kind as to answer:

Being an F reg. Micra, does this make it a Mk1 micra? Also named the K10 (after reading this site)?

Do many people modify their mk1 micras? I don't mean with huge max power stickers and such like as I've never been into that sort of thing being a retro VW lover. I mean like handling mods to make it handle a lot better. i.e on my old Polo it was only lowered 40mm but handled far better and even better with a simple lower front strut brace.

Sorry for the very long introduction and thanks for reading, Joe

Hello and welcome, you do indeed have a K10 on an F plate, there are lowering springs and strut braces available for the K10, along with other goodies, have a search on the site to find everything you could possibly want or need.

do a search in the k10 blogs and you will see my k10, there loads of stuff for the k10s but some people dont look hard enough

to name a few things ive got on mine:
monroe uprated gas reflex shocks (easy to get)
custom lowering springs (hell of alot stiffer) (this was a stroke of luck to find these)
front strut brace (getting harder to find)
complete set of march rear lights inc the reverse lights (hard to find)
foah front bumper (hard to find)

Welcome to the club! Thread moved to the intro section.

Thanks for the welcomes.

Here is a pic of my favourite Polo that I owned. This is the most recent picture:

post-6748-1174094819.jpg

Is the 1.0 Micra LX engine fuel Injected? If so, is it single point or multipoint?
Also, what wheel fitment is the K10 and what other cars have the same fitment?

I ask because when I owned Polos, I'd look for wheels on Golfs, Skodas, Renault 5 alloys etc and they would all fit providing they were 4x100.

Oh, I've just found a stash of papers and books and it's the Micra's complete service history! Even the warrenty book :)

The only thing that lets the car down is the little patches of surface rust. The car is meant to be a cheap form of transport but I am thinking about modding it, after sorting the imperfections out.

Thanks, Joe

I have just taken some photos of it:

pict0002oc5.jpg

pict0003ev2.jpg

pict0005rz7.jpg

Are the 1.0 engines very tunable? I doubt I will attempt anything as it needs to be cheap to run and maintain but I'm still eager to know.

I'd love to see if some BBS 13" RAs will fit :)

I like the look of the other silver LX in the blog section of the K10 area. It looks really nice. The colour coded bumpers, grille and trim make all the difference!

Thanks, Joe

welcome ahhhh memories... my first was an F reg K10 too... did me good up to 145,000 miles then the gearbox went.

The K10 isnt fuel injected. The engines are quite difficult to get gains from, you'l have to chuck quite a bit of cash at it. The most restrictive parts are the inlet and outlet manifolds.

Ems had a nice foah bodykit which would have fitted your car rather well, once fitted, it looks like this

DSCF0014.jpg

Keep an eye out for kits like that, imo, its the best kit you can get for the pre -facelift K10

That car looks really nice. It makes me want to modify my K10 a lot but I really shouldn't as I am supposed to be saving for a Polo to put off road and modify ready for the Polo Show in September.

This forum is proving very helpfull and makes me like my Micra even more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back