My clutch!

Coming home today from Cannock.. Car felt perfectly fine.. Stuck in traffic trodding along. Pressed the clutch pedal down to change gear.. And the pedal fell to the floor and wouldn't come back up?!

U can lift it back up and it'll stay in place but when u press it past a inch or so it drops to the ground

What's this? Clutch gone?

Check the cable hasn't snapped first, Start with cheapest/easiest to check possibities then work through to most expensive/hardest to check.

Get into the engine bay, look on top of gearbox for the arm the cable hooks into and give the cable a tug. It'll be obvious at this point if its snapped...

35950527.jpg

the weak riveted pin ends of the clutch cable tends to suddenly fail/shear off due to:
- high stress from heavy duty pressure plates or
- high stress from high friction between the sliding release bearing & input shaft collar cos dust/dirt has gathered & thickened the grease (now I only apply dry graphite powder on the sliding faces to prevent this)

when the riveted ends of my cable failed with a bang so the pedal and pressure plate are no longer connected, the clutch fork shot back n detached from the thrust bearing clip.
I had to jiggle em back together then stuck an allen key in place of the rivet to get me home.

now both riveted ends of my clutch cable have been strengthened with a nut & bolt especially cos I have a heavy 200mm clutch.

http://micra.org.uk/threads/pollymobiles-rebuild.35251/page-6#post-407293

76180868.jpg

Erm. I don't even know where the clutch cable is, don't really know jack about cars, I'm just tryna save myself some money cuz I'm broke lol

Of you're facing the car, the engine is on left and gearbox is bolted on to side of it on the right. On top of the geatbox, under the black relay box iirc you will find a brassy coloured bit that has the cable hooked on to it

Found exactly what was on the picture that polly showed .. It's detached .. Tried to take a pic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 299
yeah check if that rivet pin has sheered out of the bracket like mine did.

if the pin at the gearbox end of the cable is intact then check if the cabin/pedal end of the cable (top of the pedals under the dash) hasn't sheered there.

if the pins on both ends of the cable are intact then the cable prob failed

guess the rivet has failed.

just loosen the thumbscrew locknut,
take out the bracket,
drill the smaller hole to match the larger 8mm hole,
fit 8mm nylon nut & bolt,
fit onto cable
hook onto the clutch fork
adjust the thumbscrew tensioner till bite point is 1/2 way then tighten the thumbscrew locknut.

wondering why it failed,
is it a standard or heavier pressure plate?
did the clutch pedal seem heavy or have alot of friction while pushing down or creaking before the pin failed?

A standard one as far as I'm aware.. I did used to hear some squeaking whilst driving espescially over bumps but assumed its the tires/tracking but I'm guessing it was the clutch bracket now lol! It didn't feel that heavy tbh, the only other thing was when pressing the pedal down it would squeak a bit. My fault for not really looking into it but then again I wouldn't know what to look for

Ok so I fixed the bracket onto the clutch arm thanks for your help! However.

I adjusted the clutch so bite would be half way and I'd have less free play because the guy who helped me fix it left it with ALOT of free play. Few days from driving it and the clutch bite has dropped down again and there's more free play again.. Is the nut not tight enough? How tight should it be? When adjusting the clutch and letting go of it for like a second it starts rotating back the other way again. Is that normal?

What's the easiest position to do it

Back