My $50 Paintjob - some teaser pics

CMF_Dodgy Haro

» CMF Member
Hmmm ... I've always had this on my cards and thought it'd be a good time ever since my car was immortalised in white with a recent photoshoot:

http://www.groundupgarage.com/bang-for-buck.html

micrashoot1.jpg

Anyway, some teaser pics as of today - actually it only cost me $40 for the liter of boat paint and a relaxing week off work:

Yellow1.JPG

Yellow2.JPG

Yellow3.JPG

Yellow4.JPG

Yellow5.JPG

Yellow6.JPG

I'm off to enjoy my hard labour by going on a quick cruise as soon as I fit my new wheels and reattach the bonnet!

CMF_Geoff W

» CMF Member
Nice work mate... looks the goods, suits the theme you're going for beautifully. With the face mask you look like some sort of essay from the hispanics in the US. An environmentally aware one at that. i.e drives a fuel economic car!!

CMF_LonePhantom

» CMF Member
That is brilliant! What technique did you use to paint it? Roller then brush, or other way around, or some other way? I ask as one of my work colleagues is using the marine paint to do his R31 Skyline.

Oh you took your front spoiler off, how come?

CMF_Dodgy Haro

» CMF Member
Actually, I got lazy second time around - I didn't even sand between layers but yep, it is a roller job and there were about 9 layers put down:

http://rollyourcar.com/default.aspx

http://www.rickwrench.com/50dollarpaint.html

My first attempt plus techniques can be found in a thread here - believe I am the first to apply it to a micra though:

http://mx5cartalk.com/phpBB-3.0.2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=27374&hilit=$50+paint+in+progress

As for removing the front spoiler, actually removed that unintentionally by driving up the driveway at a 90 degree angle ... @_@

What you get for inexperience driving a lowered car. >_<

I will be reattaching it shortly ... in the meantime, just a few more pics. Bonnet back on and new Centreline rims fitted:

Yellow7.jpg

Yellow8.jpg

Some of the work in progress pics:

WIP6.jpg

WIP1.jpg

WIP.jpg

WIP3.jpg

WIP5.jpg

For the keen trainspotters out there, you'll notice the rear wiper plus antenna attachments were shaved in the process. :)

Dodgy Haro WROTE:

"As for removing the front spoiler, actually - the missus removed that for me by driving up our driveway at a 90 degree angle ... @_@ <BR><BR>What you get for inexperience driving a lowered car. &gt;_&lt;<BR><BR>I will be reattaching it shortly ... BR>

damn ay. did she collect those extractors too? :p

CMF_Dodgy Haro

» CMF Member
Thanks for the comments ppl ...

Fortunately the extractors haven't snapped but they have the odd scrape or two. There was a pic on the forum but without the spoiler, they can be visible when viewing the car from the front and standing a few metres back:

M5.JPG

Hmmm ... not sure about the centrelines as a friend of a mate has already expressed interest in them for his Subaru Fiori. Even then, getting them overseas may prove to be a pain.

The paint job could be better but is alright for me - mind you, I didn't sand between layers so it could be smoother but you wouldn't be able to tell from looking at the pics. The paint smooths out evenly which is why I didn't bother with sanding.

Anyway, some final pics and then I guess this thread can be closed:

yellow8.jpg

yellow10.jpg

yellow11.jpg

yellow12.jpg

yellow13.jpg

If you're wondering where to pick up the paint from, I got mine from Whitford Marines ... at least I didn't make the mistake 2nd time around and buy too much paint.

Now I think I have gotten this out of my system so can take a break from the micra and return back to my MX5 project. ^_^

CMF_Dodgy Haro

» CMF Member
post some pics of your mx5

Heh heh ... the link re the paintjob thread up above has pics of the MX5 ... the next stage is to fit these to the car:

Work1.JPG

Work2.JPG

Work4.JPG

I've had these in my garage for over a year now ... just saving up $$$ for the coilovers + tyres. My final goal is to make a blue version of this car:

al3.JPG

al5.JPG

I just had to get the micra to a stage where I would be happy to leave her as is for a while ... :)

Back