MOT today

ollyc98

Ex. Club Member
And I'm a bit worried cos the doors are really rusty lol. Sadly I'm working so someone else has to take it for me so I won't find the results til 8 tonight.

If it fails I'm selling....

I thought it might fail on the excessive rust at the base of the windscreen an don the doors but it was ok. It could've been a lot worse I know.

Yeah that's not bad at all. Can't believe you left dodgey bulbs and reg plate on for a test though! :p

I forgot about the front sidelights, and was told the carbon plate would have passed.

I also got an advisory, the rear brake pipe is corroded.

guessing its the little pipe that goes into the rear brakes (after the rubber section)...all youve gotta do is wd40 the connections (bleed nipple especially) dont force anything :)

it may just need a brush down...if not first check youve got the spanners that match :)

need one replacement brake pipe (any garage should be able to make you it up to suit -- depending on cost may be just as cheap to let them do it), and a brake bleed tube (little rubbery pipe that fits over the brake nipple).

assuming you do it yourself...

if the new pipe is straight you'll need to shape it to match the old one (can be done by hand -- do this carfully and smoothly so you dont kink it or if you can borrow the pipe bender tool even easier though overkill i reckon).

Once shaped undo the connections on the old pipe, remove and replace it with the new one (tighten connections)...then bleed the brake, get another person to work the brake pedal a few times then hold the brake on...fit the rubber tube onto the nipple and undo (collect the lost fluid in a jar) ...if it starts to slow then lock it back down, and get the helper monkey :D to work the brake pedal again, repeat until you get constant stream of liquid (shouldnt take very long as youre only filling the new little bit of pipe up). Tighten everything down.

Test the brakes, check for leaks...all good?...Job Done. :D

Dont drink, etc etc any of the brake fluid...were rubber gloves if you wanna keep it off your skin, and wash your hands properly afterwards cos its not nice stuff.

i agree, but i meant for the two bends he'll be doing (the pipe is a gentle S shape)...going out of his way to find a pipe bending tool is overkill for the job...when its easy enough to gently mould the pipe into shape.

so long as you move your hands over the pipe in the same way a pipe bender would you'll have no issues. :)

oh and no worries olly, you'll see its pretty easy once you have a spy of the pipes. :)

I have pipe guides lol. I also have thin copper pipe (4mm???) left over from an aircon system. Is it all the same stuff? I might just pay a garage to do it lol. When it comes to stuff like brakes I like to leave it alone. Though I did change the pads and discs myself.

think that'll be different pipe...plus you need to flare the pipe ends and get the pipe nuts to suit...

All i did when i replaced my lines, was measuring the pipes and asked a garage to make me lines in that length for the micra (i took an old pipe aswell, just make sure they put the correct flare on) they then flared and fitted all the necesary connections and all i had to do was shape them to fit.

Depending what the garage will charge you for that, it maybe easier to let them do it (as its such a small item)...especially if you'd prefer not trying it yourself. :)

olly

if it was unsafe, he would have failed it, i would give it a good wire brushing, and if its only surface rust, grease it up

I was going to get one of the flaring kits, I was also going to do braided steel brake lines, however I think I need to sort out the bodywork first. Any idea what I can do about the rust at the base of my windscreen?

only thing you can do to rust is either cut it out (if its very bad) :eek: or try and treat it...wire brush it as carefully as poss to avoid scratching the surrounding area and stick some rust treatment on it.

I'm thinkin of getting rid soon and upgrading to a k11, I was offered a low mileage facelift for £750 but it had a sizeable dent in the rear quarter lol. When I sell it it'll have at least 6 months tax and MOT so I'm hoping to get about £250, is this too much?

Got some kurust on the way, if it's any good I'm gunna drive the car into a lake of it lol.

I hope most of it is just surface rust. Im gunna convert the back end back to standard I think, at least until I can smooth it properly and relocate the plate to the bumper. I want to buy 2 new doors and a new wing but finding parts at a decent price is hard. Anyone got doors? I don't mind what colour I just want rust free ones.

Back