mot question

So the civic failed it's mot on worn tyres and side light being out.

I got the fail sheet and it doesn't look right to me, what's you thoughts

1380138104718.jpg

I thought if it failed on something it had to be listed, not hand written but typed.

Is it me or hasn't the tester done his job properly?

Not done a good job eh. If you took the car away though they will still have to retest it and they can still type it up again, so you have no leverage...

What strikes me is the fact it failed on simple things that would have taken you seconds to check yourself, especially the bulb. the price for being lazy..........

Tbf Karl, and it may just be me being a thicko yorkshireman, I don't really understand the point you're trying to make :confused: You said yourself, before the MOT, that it would fail on tyres and it has......

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 4

I'm not trying to make a point, just wondering where I stand if it fails the retest.

How am I meant to fix what's wrong if it hasn't been put on the fail sheet.

I'm not trying to make a point, just wondering where I stand if it fails the retest.

How am I meant to fix what's wrong if it hasn't been put on the fail sheet.
Unfortunately, if they miss something the first time and you drive it away to get bits fixed, then you come back and get it retested and they find something else there is no way to prove that they missed it, unless it's like a rust hole in sill or something.

Right, with you now mate. Do they not only retest what is on the fail sheet? Just rectify what is listed, they've MOT'd it, any errors are down to them

Unfortunately, if they miss something the first time and you drive it away to get bits fixed, then you come back and get it retested and they find something else there is no way to prove that they missed it, unless it's like a rust hole in sill or something.
Not exactly fair, unscrupulous garages could use that as a money making racket with more vulnerable car owners :mad:

As it's all backed up on a computer now for insurance purposes etc. Any failure HAS to be typed and logged onto the computer. I didn't read your failiure sheet in pic (sorry) but if it was a problem like 'braking system insufficient' and you went away and had an accident due to brakes the garage is then liable for not picking it up. So its in your favour being hand written

Failiure 1 on your sheet is bogus in my opinion. They don't need access to the boot to test rear member that can and should be done from the exterior.. they are not allowed to touch the car.. if the boot is shut then tough look. If the bonnet is shut tough luck. That's why they have lifts and lights
Also if the rear members are inside the car then honda can't build cars properly

i tell em at the station its a "97" car,,,,,dont get that pipe and stick it in its ar e
'
'
'
new mad one's once a month only

I MOT'd my van yesterday, I deviated from my usual place that I'd been to for the last 7 MOT's due to a change of tester and space issues for my big van.

Anyway at the new place the tester insisted that I wait in the waiting room due to insurance issues, that's the first time I've not been helping a tester to test my van, and I never got to have a good look round underneath while it was on the ramp.

It passed, but I don't like the way the world is changing on looking after your own vehicle.

Failiure 1 on your sheet is bogus in my opinion. They don't need access to the boot to test rear member that can and should be done from the exterior.. they are not allowed to touch the car.. if the boot is shut then tough look. If the bonnet is shut tough luck. That's why they have lifts and lights
Also if the rear members are inside the car then honda can't build cars properly

boots aND bonnets can be opened but engine covers, sump gaurds, even wheel trims cant be removed by the testerr, and neither are child seats they have to advise its obstructed by a cover or child safety seat

and yes Karl the fact its hand written on the failure sheet means that the failure hasnt been logged on the tester pc on input of the test results or it would have shown typed on the sheet above the info on retesting

praps the tyres are advisery ? iirc you can run below the legal limit on a quarter of the width of the tyre (but it must be visible tread tho)

and yes Karl the fact its hand written on the failure sheet means that the failure hasnt been logged on the tester pc on input of the test results or it would have shown typed on the sheet above the info on retesting

I'm confused, so if it hasn't failed on the written items has it passed then?

I'm confused, so if it hasn't failed on the written items has it passed then?

the failures handwritted on the sheet wernt logged onto the testing system, the typed failure about the boot, was logged hence its typed onto the failure sheet

If it ain't typed then it does count basically.
There's no reason in terms of the test that requires them to go in the boot nor bonnet so they shouldn't go in there. All necessary areas can be checked underneath.
How its always been at the mot place I go to
Plus it has to go on a fancy 4 post ramp now unless the garage had a pit before the new law passed

If it ain't typed then it does count basically.
There's no reason in terms of the test that requires them to go in the boot nor bonnet so they shouldn't go in there. All necessary areas can be checked underneath.
How its always been at the mot place I go to
Plus it has to go on a fancy 4 post ramp now unless the garage had a pit before the new law passed

under bonnet to check master cylender brake pipes abs units n cak

under bonnet to check master cylender brake pipes abs units n cak
Master cylinder checked by brake pressure test.
Abs tested by light on dash only ;) if it doesn't work its not a failure but the light is
Brake pipes are visible from underneath

when i was a tester the first thing you did was open the bonnet and write down the vin tag numbers, then battery and pipe checks :)
and the spare wheel has to be checked too eh

Master cylinder checked by brake pressure test.
Abs tested by light on dash only ;) if it doesn't work its not a failure but the light is
Brake pipes are visible from underneath

need bonnet open for access to battery for emissions test :p

when i was a tester the first thing you did was open the bonnet and write down the vin tag numbers, then battery and pipe checks :)
and the spare wheel has to be checked too eh
All on the v5 these days on vosa test software :)
Spare wheel can only be tested if its there or accessible.. in Karls case.. it was but the guy couldn't open the boot :p

Back