More problems

C

CrazyMike

Hi people, yep u guessed it.....ive encountered more problems with my K10.

Ages ago I had loads of probs with lights and ignition barrels......... which I sorted.

Now however, Ive encountered more probs with my J Reg K10 LS.
Yesterday I was drivin from manchester to Stoke on the A34 and the drive was normal (considerin its a 4 speed). Anyway when I got off the A-road and onto normal residential roads I heard that my idle speed was WAY above what it should be so I pulled up at my uni house and left the car for a bit. When I came back to it the next day the idle speed was still really high for about 15mins then it settled down.

Later on (This evening) I was driving back to Manchester and the ride was fine on the A road but when I got onto residential roads the complete opposite happened. I kept on feeling as if the car was going to stall (u know the way it shakes before it does) so I had to keep my foot on the gas just to keep the engine goin..

How can a car go from a really high idle speed to a dangerously low one in 24 hours????

Ive got no idea what to do - maybe change fuel filter/pump?????

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

Give the car a service, new air filter, new plugs leads etc, and check the mixture screw on the carb!

Daz :alien:

Could be the plugs. Also possibly try changing the carb and dizzy, as this is what happened with mine, well it kept feeling like it was going to stall, and we believe it was the carb that was causing the problems. Hope this helps. :)

Idle speed doesn't really have anything to do with the ignition - if the ignition is working, then the engine should run at the speed that the load and conditions allow for. Unless you are mistaking a low idle speed for the engine not firing at all.

I'd take a look at the carb, make sure none of the screws have shaken themselves loose. You don't have the ECC that some K10s have, so that shouldn't be causing the problem. Maybe the two incidents are unrelated and just co-incidence, as I can't think of any one thing that would cause both.

Suggestion from Wayne:

Also make sure the accelerator cable bolts are tight around the bracket
if they are loose it will jump up and down knocking the idle way out, so may be worth a check. :)

One of the K10's i used to own, would run fine and then the revs would drop off and it would stall.

Turned out to be the carb, switched it with a new one and the problem was sorted.

sounds like a faulty auto choke/fast idle on the carb.

If the problem persists, change the carb.

I had the same prob there is an electric cable that runs from the ignition barrel to the auto choke to operate it maybe there is a loose connection mine was bust so the auto choke didnt work at all the engine just raced all the time:)

Back