More Gearbox problems???

Bmx_Bandit

Ex. Club Member
Hey.

I changed my gearbox over after the last one siezed up on me on the motorway. The end bearing had basically come to pieces and ruined the case etc etc. When i bought the car, only about 2 months before it whirred/whined faintly when accelerating through the gears until the car got up to speed then u kinda didnt notice it.
After changing the box the same faint noise was still there and still is now. Just worried.
I know all Micras this age, L reg seem to all kinda make that "Micra noise", but i'm worried that i'm going to breakdown half way home again...:down:

Simon

i recently poseted about my n-reg k11 doing the same. It does just ssem to be a noise, but like you say its worrying.

Guess it gives me an excuse to turn the music up tho :)

On the K10 gearbox, I've heard the noise, then two days later, the whole thing has seized up (well, not entirely, we spent an hour or so ensuring it was totally broken). On another K10 gearbox, the noise was there when fitted, and continued for about 5k before the headgasket went. I don't think you can tell how long it will last.

The box was just out of another car. I just picked the onethat had done the least miles. I think my sized because of doing constant high speeds on the motorway.

kev_mono72 said:
When buying a box you should realy get it stripped and checked, bearings and that replaced...

It costs a fortune though. You can normally tell if a gearbox is ok-ish, and I'd rather just swap it for another one later if it breaks.

This is why my K10 has been through 3 in total lol.

Release bearing went on my 4 speed, fitted a 5 speed and lost 3rd and 4th after a few miles.

Got a new one on it now, all the gears are there but its not a very smooth box, ah well!

Back