Turbo exhaust mani design

pork

Club Member
I'm gunna make a turbo exhaust mani for the k10, is there any things that I need to consider when designing it? Pipe diameter? Pairing up cylinders? Length?

More info I get the better please, don't really wanna have to make this, but it's got to be done so may as well do it right

Thanks, Neil

make sure there,s some clearance around the alt neil ;) can you mount it facing forwards on a stock mani like mine ?

PB050280.JPG

make sure there,s some clearance around the alt neil ;) can you mount it facing forwards on a stock mani like mine ?

View attachment 21178

Haha, for sure!

Il have to have a look, see where it's best placed, jus given my old anifold to engineering from opposite to make up flange

Only get 2 hours a night between work and when the girlfriend comes home to work on the car !

Can anyone recommend whether short runners or long ones are better, equal lengths matter? Been doing some reading, but haven't come across many testimonials about whether what is best

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352291012.258658.jpg

So, got flange made, is this ok, or does it have to be exact shape off the old manifold? I.e with all the little cut out bits?

It's 12mm, once I've finished welding I'm gunna get the face machined flat, so I've got a couple of mm to work with

Where do you suggest slitting it?

It's 12mm, once I've finished welding I'm gunna get the face machined flat, so I've got a couple of mm to work with

Where do you suggest slitting it?
its not easy to mount onto a surface grinder as an assembly tbh mate, as long as you weld it while bolted to a head it should stay flat, and here maybe ?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352291012.258658.jpg

How much did the flange cost you mate?

£50 from engineering bloke opposite. Dunno if that was a good price or not, didn't really shop about, just that he was local and does nice work fast!
Ordered it yesterday evening, done this afternoon

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352315451.536854.jpg

Trying to make this merge collector right now too

Please take into account, I hav no precision tools whatsoever !!

All done with grinder

Here's progress so far

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352315609.906485.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352315624.156633.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352315650.502567.jpg

Now jus gotta splice theses two together

how are you going to make the bends?

With steam pipe fittings (butt weld fittings)

I've had a go at this today

Been having a quick mock up off things

Please don't take the piss out the tack welds to much, the welder was playing up big time!!!!!

Ran out of regulator broke, then ran out of gas, kept jamming the wire too!!

Bloody cheap crap!

Anyways......

7aqyzy3e.jpg

y8anajav.jpg

a6e6uba7.jpg

nu8eryjy.jpg

Ran out off fittings now

Thats bloody awesome mate! Hats off to you!

Right... where do i get this steam piping? Im gonna make me a ram horn one! haha

Right!

Exhaust mk2

All runners are equal length now with as few bends as possible

Your thoughts please people, because if there isn't anything I'm missing, I'm gunna weld it all properly tomorrow

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352738751.994131.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352738766.458753.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352738779.810051.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352738790.475056.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352738823.691970.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352738836.275480.jpg

its good, it seems to have quite equal lengths eh?

Yeah, tried my best, there roughly 14inches each

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352740361.912143.jpg

Tried to get as straight as possible too, would like to of gone straight into collector though, but also these loops help avoid the radiator hoses going into engine
I couldn't think off any other way off doing it

I read the same thing, from engine basics site, apparently helps with that, and helps with being able to have higher compression (from what I've read!)

Obviously I'm no expert, but ..... there's a Company I came across, that manufactures a Turbo Conversion Kit that is installed by the rear silencer box on an exhaust pipe.
So I don't suppose having the Turbo 14 inches from the Head is too much of a problem ??

Looking good for a DIY jobbie !

Back