Modifiying my K11 1.0L for future rallying

Hey I'm new I've had my 1L micra for a year now and secretly, I think its great ... well appart from the body roll and it could be faster but that's to be expected. I've decided I really want to enter a rally with it as it's small, light and handles well and ... it'll be damned good fun. Even if it doesn't end up in a rally it'll be a nice track car. My first instinct is to improve the air intake and the handling.

Anyway, I've read the posts about induction kits and the general consensus seems to be a (panel?) air filter replacement is better, however can you not get more performance from a simple air intake in the bonnet and using the induction kit?

In either case I have a question regarding an air intake in the bonnet, is it possible to just cut a big dirty hole in it and slap on a nice cover for it? I would assume this would possibly compramise the structure of the bonnet, is it better or even possible to buy a bonnet with an air intake. My final question on the subject is as to wether the air intake would need to be modified if I baught or created it to prevent water ruining the filter?

Final question is on suspension, I have read that Coilovers are fantastic... but very expensive, arround £500? And are they really worth it or would it be cost/performance effective to use anti-roll bars and lowering springs instead? of course this removes the ability to tune the ride hight and stiffness.

Thanks for any and all replies, I appologise for the length of my post and any re-questioning... :D :k11green:

EDIT: Oh 1 last thing I wanted a tachometer which isn't on the micra I have, is it possible to get another micra instrument pannel with one on and plug it in? Or will I need an aftermarket seperate... expensive one? Thanks again.

It depends what type of rallying your planning on doing. If you want to enter a Road Rally, cutting the bonnet is a no-no as you cant alter anything bodywise as the car has to remain looking standard. If your looking at doing an actual stage event, before worrying about things like that think about getting your competition licenese and pricing up the bits to make the car eligible, remmber you cant just put in any old stuff when it comes to the safety equimpent, it all has to be in date and fia approved.

Best bet is to hear over to www.britishrally.co.uk or www.formula1000.co.uk/

Also, if your serious about getting involved in rallying in some form or another, check out your local motorclub. Where abouts are you?

Thanks for the reply, yeah I was planning on stage rallys. Instead of heading straight for safety/eligibility I was going to start with performance incase it went tits up money wise. The last thing I'd get would be the liscence cos it's the only thing I couldn't use untill the car is done.

It might even end up as just a slightly faster, better handling micra, descisions decisions...

I'm in the north east of the UK, Teesside.

Try http://www.tynemouthmotorclub.co.uk/ They seem to be the nearest club that I can find.

Your best bet really would be to have a word with some of the people on the Formula 1000 forum as if you fancy having a crack, it'd be best to build the car performace wise to within their rules as the Micra is the car to have from what I understand. Was starting to build mine into a rally effort but change of ideas Ive now ended up Navigating on road events instead.

As far as I got with mine was to fit an OMP Exhaust, KandN panel filter, Koni Adustable Shocks and uprated panroad arm. That made the car handle better and it also revved a lot more freely as one of the cats had been removed. Tried other things since to get a bit more power etc but really not made much of an improvement since those.

Personal feeling is still if you fancy having a crack at Rallying, have a go at a Novice Road Rally first. Much better value mile for money and theres always tonnes of people willing to help.

Hope thats of some help.

Thanks again for the reply, never heard of Novice Road Rallies. I'll look into it but it does certainly sound like a great idea.

Dont know if they run many up by you as Road Rallying is more based in Wales it seems these days. Just to give you a rough idea, Classic Lanes Novice Road Rally which happened mid 2006, we were given pre-printed maps roughly half hour before our due start time, so no plotting, route wasnt too tricky and there was no use of roads which were too rough, so it wasnt a car breaker and all the marshalls were very friendly and very helpful if anyone had a problem. Cost with the insurance was around £65, route was about 100 miles and no competition license needed as it was a closed to club event (meaning you only had to join the club that organised it). Great way to have a first go at Rallying without breaking the bank or needing a highly modified car to be succesful. I think if i remmber the lad that came 2nd Beginner was using a standard 1.3 Micra with just a roll cage and some harnesses.

if your micra is pre '98 then it may not have any anti-roll bars fitted. if its post 98' then you can buy uprated anti-roll bars. do a search for whiteline. then for the spring/ damper set up, get the best you can afford. coilovers, as you say, would offer greater adjustability.

Pre-'98 :/ and it definatly doesn't the roll is rather scarey :), is it possible to fit anti-roll bars to a pre-'98? I've seen them as "Update kit" and "Full kit" I assume the later is for pre-'98?

I've been involved in rallying for fr to many years, and am still at it. My advice to anyone who wants to have a go is to join your local motor club. They are all listed on teh MSA website http://www.msauk.org/site/custom/home/default.asp?chapter=22

Pick peoples brains and listen to the stories. Go marshaling you will learn alot aboutthe rules and what makes rallies work and what doesn't. Then when you decide to build a car make sureit handles and stops before you make it go faster.
Rallying comes in 3 main types.
Road rallying - cheapest and the best British Navigators started there - Phil Mills for one.
Stage Rallying. Varies from expensive to ridiculous. But Micras are effective and atthe cheap end. If you are thinking of stages then allow £1000 for safety equipment just to make it eligable. That's before you do the suspension or anything else. And you will need a BARS course. I don't know the cost of that as I got my licence before they thought of that one.
Enduro. Fits between the two. Much cheaper than full blown stage rallying and not as fast and teh safety equipment is not as rigerous. But be careful as not all Rollcages which can be used on Enduro events can be used on Stage Rallies and the opposite is true. So be careful and keep your options open

But remeber it can be stupid money and you can spend a kings ransom. By the way if you are feeling rich I reckon after suspension and brakes, if you can afford it get a close ratio box. Approx £1400 +VAT for the bits from Harry Hockley. Drops the top speed to about 80mph, but it will get there quickly. Theres no point in having a car which will do 100mph if it never gets there. While your at it add a limited slip diff (another £500 +VAT ish) Father Christmas didn't bring me one this year, but maybe next year.

Back